Challenge for teachers!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    ML

2. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    Hmmmmmmm...........I'm thinking of a way I can incorporate this at work :think:

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Just for today, I'll stop being so **** negative!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Good day sir,
    I am sure that you are aware that our speed recommendations as posted on the sign that you just drove by are there for your own safety. 45 MPH above that recommendation is not too bad, but we charge a premium for that service. I would be honored to drive you to the station. You are the winner of an all expense paid evening in the slammer. After that, you can select a chauffeur of your own choice until we get all the paperwork settled. At that time, we would be happy to hear what you have to say!

5. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota

hahahha...nice!!!!

6. trmptr

trmptr Pianissimo User

May 10, 2005
    Bemidji, MN
    I was thinking I should try this today, and then I realized all my students are on jazz tour so I have no lessons to teach, my wife left for the weekend to visit her mother, and my kids are sleeping over at friend's houses. This should be easy!!

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In the interest of fair play, free speech and the Dark Side: Mobbing tricks!

1. Adjust your tuning slide during every rest (it doesn’t matter in which direction: low notes are easy to lip into tune) so that the conductor and the other guys in the section think you have great ears. In concert, however, keep pushing the slide in – fun stuff!

2. Never count rests prior to the principal trumpet’s solo. The end of his solo is your cue to start counting. Should the principal player ask what the count is before his solo, simply tell him “you’ll feel it,†as if you know the count. This works wonders for his self-confidence, particularly after he misses the entrance.

3. At other times when the principal player is lost, it is enjoyable to give big random downbeats with your hand as though they indicate reheasal numbers.

4. Verdi Requiem offstage trick: bring the horn up to your lips long before your entrance, take a big breath, and then reach forward with your right hand and empty the spit-valve. Put the horn back down in your lap. Do this several times. Whip the horn up just in time to make the actual entrance.

5. When playing Mahler 5 or Pictures in concert; look down at the floor after the first few notes and shake your head. Then try to look like you are “saving†the section with your entrance.

6. Make friends with the principal horn and trombone players, and tell them how much you enjoy their playing and musicianship. Look in the direction of your principal, sigh, and roll your eyes.

7. Make it a point to ask the conductor during breaks about phrasing – he will assume that you are playing correctly, but will be extra critical of the principal player.

Have a nice, positive, day!

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    If your rests are broken up differently than the guy next to you, make sure to count out loud at all times.

Lead trumpet players can get a little stressed during the gig, so beforehand, slip a page from a... gantleman's magazine... into his book. It'll be a welcome distraction when he turns that page...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007