Change an instructor, change perspective...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, Oct 31, 2014.

1. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I just wanted to share with the newer players an experience i recently had.
    My instructor of two years had some personal stuff come up and he stopped teaching.
    I had read where one should change up instructors every two years or so..but you hear a lot of things...
    I went it alone for a few months over the summer, dabbling, floundering, but hey, it was summer, and I play recreationally.
    Anyway, I had no idea where to start to look for a new instructor until it hit me...I like and want to play New Orleans / Dixieland, etc, so I emailed local dixieland bands in the area asking if any of their brass players...a few email chains later...and tada, found a brass instructor (who's main instrument is tuba).

One lesson in and I can say it was the best move I have made.
    It was like he handed me a couple of Rosetta Stones, as I had several "aha moments" in only the first hour.

Not only jump started my trumpet practices, but has reinvigorated my relationship with my sousaphone, which was sitting rather idle.

Long story short....switching things up can provide great insights and new perspectives!

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Owning a sousaphone is like having your own private Rodin sculpture! Enjoy your newly rekindled affair.