Change from petroleum to synthetic

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    My new Xeno came with a bottle of petroleum based oil so I assume that is what is already on the valves.
    I now want to use the ultra pure I just received.:-)
    Can I just begin to use the synthetic or should I bathe it first, or what?:-?

2. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi Bruce,

Although some synthetics claim compatibility with petroleum based oils, it would be on the safe side to degrease the valves and casings before you use the Ultrapure.

Cheers,

Brian

3. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    the ultra pure site says "Before using Ultra-Pure Professional Valve Oil, clean your valves and casings completely with lemon-type liquid detergent and water. Use a valve casing brush to scrub out old oils by holding the valve casing under running water while sudsing out old oils and grime. Also, clean the bottom valve caps the same way. Rinse all the detergent completely."

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BRUCE,
    DO YOU NOT READ MY POSTS?
    You always should remove the valves, clean and dry them and the casings before reapplying oil. Even synthetic oil floats on water, so if the valves are moist, reoiling doesn't help much.

Bone dry, then oil!

5. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    To Rowuk,
    Yes sir, but I hardly see the need to bathe the instrument every time I oil it whether new or old. If I need to scrub and suds the casings with rumming water, I can hardly fail to get the rest of the horn wet with water and suds residue. Am I missing something?
    Bruce

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just take the valves out and run a rag through it until it is clean and dry. The valves don't get so hot so the grundge doesn't bake on. I use a microfiber cloth to clean and a soft chamois from the auto parts store to dry. Water and scrub happens once a month or so.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    You only clean the valves and casings when you switch from one kind to the other. Once you are using what you want just oil as needed.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I use Alysin Cleaner to clean my valves. It's made for that. Should be available at your local music store. Spray it on the pistons and wipe dry. Spray inside the casings and wipe with a valve cleaning rod and a cotton swab or suitable cloth. Leaves no residue. It's quick and works like a charm. You can also use it to safely clean any part of the trumpet, any finish

9. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well at my high school we trumpets use petroleum based for standard stuff cause its cheap, then syn for contests since we have temp drops and long times away from oiling where the petroleum gets stiff, a group of us before we perform run a rag over the valves like rowuk said and dry it, then flood with ultra-pure, works real well, just... its expensive so its for contests

10. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    You got hosed. My Xeno came with Yamaha syn oil.