Change in embrouchure recently need help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetguy777, Apr 15, 2010.

1. trumpetguy777

trumpetguy777 New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Menifee, Ca
    After playing for about 9 years give or take since 4th grade with my mouthpiece far too low on my lip, as is common among many younger players, i finally had a dr. in music show me the right way. my sound and power are vastly improved now, however the range is still mediocre (i've hit the high Bb but generally only up to the G or A is usable) although i do realize iv'e only been at it for a month as a half now and these things do take time. does anyone have any suggestions about things i could do to improve range, endurance, ect? also, i have a bad problem with wanting too press too hard once i start going higher and dont know how to stop doing that...:play:

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    As far as range is concerned it takes two things: (1) proper management of air and (2) practice. It sounds like you really need to find a good private teacher to help you. No one here on the internet can properly help you without seeing and hearing you.

3. trumpetguy777

trumpetguy777 New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Menifee, Ca
    ok. yeah the private teacher i have now ive had since 10th grade and he has always played lower on his lip and that has seemed to work pretty well for him (he's never had a whole lot of power that ive seen but always a very nice sound and technique) so he never had me change my embrochure but a doctor at csu long beach when i auditioned there said i needed to right away, so i took his word for it and did. ive been playing in front of a mirror whenever i warm up, doing long tones on the leadpipe and lipslurs and simple songs on the mouthpiece, as well as my regular warm ups and playing, and ive seen a huge improvement. whereas before i may or may not have hit certain notes in the upper range, and if i did hit them they were shaky, now i either hit them or dont but when i do they are definately there. would you recommend playing loudly more often than softly to build the muscles or softly more often in order not to damage anything? im really not sure, of course its feels great to play loud but i wouldnt want to damage my lips either...

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I would suggest that you do lip slurs, long tones, simple tunes and play softly.

5. trumpetguy777

trumpetguy777 New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Menifee, Ca
    ok thanks.

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I would add that working out of the James Stamp Warmups, playing along with the included CDs (one for Bb trumpet, the other for C trumpet, both playing from the same printed music) has worked wonders for my trumpet playing, especially range but also in a major way simply tone production.

You should discuss anything that you do with your current teacher -- and then decide if you might need a different teacher, one who might approach things differently and have you work out of different materials.

Another book you might consider getting and working out of on a daily basis is the Complete Solfeggi of Giuseppi Concone, published by Balquhidder Music. The exercises aren't very rangy and were originally written to help singers improve their tone and support. They are excellent pieces to work on for the trumpet, and this edition is a very nicely printed one.

7. trumpetguy777

trumpetguy777 New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Menifee, Ca
    ok. yeah we are approaching things a bit differently now that ive changed my embrouchure, have gone back to basics, and do lip slurs, both on the horn and in the mouthpiece, and long tones on the leadpipe. he has me work a lot out of the arban's and clark books, i know arban's is good but ive never heard of clark before i actually bought them...

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My advice is to simply trust your teacher and ask them. Until your face has settled down, other "opinions" are difficult for YOU to place value on.

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    This.

If you're serious about longevity with the trumpet then allow yourself time to adjust.

Patience and time...

10. trumpetguy777

trumpetguy777 New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Menifee, Ca
    Yes I agree; I like to get opinions from others on things when I can however I realize that over the internet it is harder to do this. I do trust my teacher and have been doing what he says: he said that it would take about 6 months for me to get back to the level I was at before, and this timeline works perfectly for me as that is right when I will be startin college.