changeing from trp in D to trp in Bb in Sibelius 5 ...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Apr 2, 2009.

1. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Say I have a piece in the program Sibelius 5, and it's written for trumpet in D. I want to play it with my trumpet in Bb, (or piccolo trumpet in Bb or A).
    there must be a way to quickly change the notes in a way that I can play it on those instruments, without having to change the notes for piano / orchestra.

does anyone know how to do that?

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    It's called Transposition. Are you serious about your question?:roll: April First was yesterday.

3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    yes I am. I have a piece called Concerto en Ré Majeur by telemann. it's written for trumpet in D. I only have a trumpet in Bb and a piccolo in Bb and A.
    how can I rewrite it so I can play it without changing the piano part?
    I have it in Sibelius 5. are there any buttons that change the entire piece in one go, or do I have to change it note by note?

4. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Actually, I wonder if this is a technical question.

Sibelius (Symphony) 5 is written for trumpet in Bb.

But Sibelius (version) 5 might refer to the notation software, in which there might be a piece that has a D trumpet part that the o/p wants transposed. And he wants to know how to make Sibelius change the key of the trumpet part without altering the rest of the score.

I don't know the answer, but perhaps I've discovered the question?

Stuart

5. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    yes, that's it. I was referring to the notation program. I've got a piece for trumpet in D, and want to play it on a trumpet in Bb.

I've never written or transposed anything, so I have no Idea how to start.

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Take the part as it is written in C (untransposed),
    I'm assuming you have the parts in the computer already
    highlight the part and then hit shift-t and put in transpose up the necessary interval, (3rd for Bb, 4th for A)

7. Artemisia

Artemisia Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    LMFAO!

Srsly, there must be some kind of "transposition button, but I don't know Sibelius. I once had this weird Octava trial version where you could easily transpose any kind of music, but I actually do any kind of transposition by myself.

8. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    right now I only have the trumpet part in D. it starts on a middle C, and there are no #'s or b's.
    I have put the trumpet in D part in sibelius, and want to make a trumpet in Bb or Piccolo trumpet in Bb or A part from it. (whichever is best playable)

I don't have the written in C part. how do I make that one for what I have now?

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Oh, ok, just put in the part into sibelius, (sorry, my directions were wrong from c anyway... my bad)
    and transpose it up a major 3rd for D to Bb trumpet, and up a 4th for D to A trumpet
    really though, if you're playing on piccolo, you'll probably want to play on the A side and just learn to transpose - its an important skill and most of the time you won't have the time to use sibelius. I personally have difficulty read "as written" on piccolos because I always transposed on the fly...

10. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    ok so:
    from D trumpet, starting on middle C with no #'s and b's, it goes to Bb trumpet, starting on E above middle C, with 4 #'s and no b's. is this how it should be?

and for piccolo in A, did you mean up a major/perfect 4th? (I have to give either 'augmented', 'major / perfect', 'minor / deminished', or 'diatonic')
    in that case it starts on F above the middle C, with no #'s and 1 b. is this how it should be?

last thing: for piccolo in A, I need to write it down one octave. how do I do that? (still new to the program :D )