changeing from trp in D to trp in Bb in Sibelius 5 ...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Apr 2, 2009.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The piece for Bb horn is in E major - 4 sharps. Written C in the part is E, D is F#, E is G#, F is A, G is B, A is C#, B is D#, and C is E. Every note on the page is played a major 3rd higher on your Bb horn. You can use your computer to make a written transposition, but learning how to do it with your own brain is a skill you'll not ever regret having.
    veery

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I know. I can do it with simple things like christmas songs, but not with something like this (yet). besides that, I just got the piccolo from my conductor, and I'm still trying to figure out how to hold it :D.
    I just got this program too (sibelius), and I'm trying to figure out how everything works, before trying to make my own songs.

I still need to know if the part in A is correct, and how I can put it down one octave.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Ah ok,
    a transposed part for Bb will be in the key of E (because D trumpet is a whole step above concert pitch, and Bb is a whole step below)
    A transposed part for A will be in the key of F (much easier),
    to transpose it down, you can take it down a perfect fifth instead of up a perfect fourth to get the same pitches
    Also: check the box that transposes the key signature as well, much easier than dealing with lots of accidentals

4. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    ah, yes. that's how I wanted it. Thank you!

5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    nevermind, it was covered - use the pic in A

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I misunderstood the question......but the answer is the same. I find it easier to do the transposition than to fiddle around with a computer.

D trumpet on the Bb Trumpet = Bass clef with 4 sharps.

C=E
    D=F#
    E=G#
    F=A
    G=B
    A=C#
    B=D#
    C=E

Piccolo Trumpet in A is a better key.....one flat.
    It is really not that difficult to figure out the notes....playing them on the piccolo is the challenge!

Good luck, though luck has nothing to do with trumpet playing:cool:

Wilmer

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Shift T in sibelius is the transpose shortcut.

8. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    If you need to use the transposed parts quickly use Sebelius. However, if you plan to play orchestral music regularly you will need to be able to transpose on the fly. It's a necessary skill.

Once you've solved your immediate problem start using the D part and playing it on the picc in A (or the Bb) without looking at the transposed music.

Regards,

Trevor

9. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    Create a D Tpt part, and a Bb or Picc Tpt part.
    Make sure your score is in "Transposing mode" By clicking the button next to the menu where you select whether you view full score or parts.
    Copy the D Part into Sibelius, then Triple click it to select it all, then ALT-Click on the first bar of the Bb/Picc part. It should copy and paste and transpose it automatically.