Changing mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nico Kelevra, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Nico Kelevra

Nico Kelevra New Friend

Aug 1, 2012
    Carapachay, Argentina
    Like I say in a previous post, I've a King 7M mp but I don't use it, instead of that one I use a Bach 1 1/2C. IS any problem if a do my practice with the Bach and use the 7M for play? Or is better to use only one mp? :-?

Nico

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    If you like it, do it. I don't think it can do much harm, try what fits you most. We can't really decide for you what to use best, it's your own mouth after all.

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    What do you hope to accomplish by using two drastically different mouthpieces?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Endurance!

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Wouldn't sticking with the 1-1/2C do the same thing? I'm wondering about the difference in timbre, among other things. Perhaps OP will give us more info about why he is considering alternating mouthpieces.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No. We are talking about using different muscle action based on placement on muscle at two different focal points. This is how we develop biceps, quads, etc. on muscle machines. Muscle is muscle. The more you recruit expanded muscle bundles, the more you distribute the stress.

8. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread here but I feel the need to ask this question. Is that why using a mouthpiece with a larger I.D is easier for control of sound production, because you are spreading the strains and stresses of playing over a larger area of muscle?

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or you have more flexibility and are not compressing tissue as tight against the rim restricting blood flow to muscle. However, if excess force is used, it doesn't matter how large the internal diameter is, external tension will fatigue muscle. My point is if you develop more muscle ability by using various size mouthpieces that distribute force over a larger area muscle stretch will become more adaptable, and there will be less fatigue.

10. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    Do you mean then, that using different sized mouthpieces is a good thing, as in it helps develop different sets of muscle groups? I think that is what you are saying.