Changing mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nico Kelevra, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Aahhhh.... Good point. Read my post above. I do the changes on my PRACTICING. On a gig... it's my Kanstul flugelhorn with the Filp Oaks 3, and the Martin Committee with the Olds 3. Don't let the 3 fool you, it's just a number. For me, I swim in the Flip Oaks, but am tightly held like a push up bra into the Olds. But when I am not gigging the other 5-6 days of the week, it's the variety that keeps me in shape.

I strongly recommend not to constrain yourself by being constrained to one mouthpiece.

DISCLAIMER: For the newbies out there... BE CAREFUL... Changing may not be good until you have developed rudimentary embouchure skills with accuracy, intervals, tonguing and phrasing. Just like I would NOT recommend a middle school athlete to run both sprinting and cross country. But with time and appropriate stretching exercises and variable work out routine, the muscle is mature enough to run both events.

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

I'll buy that. Experience and age have their privileges.

When we think about it anyone who doubles on trombone is making the most extreme of mouthpiece switches. But a fair amount of us do it. I didn't play any trombone last Fri night but did use all five of my regular lead pieces. In fact during that "Slipping Into Darkness" by War tune I felt like fiddling with my "Wigged" chops. Wigged chops being any trick setting generally used for pitches above your regular range. Usually somewhere around Double C.

Steve Reid has got a good Wig trick system but he's a very strong player on his regular chops anyway. I try and emulate his trick and making some progress. Truth be told a Double C is a very difficult note for me to blow on the bandstand. Anything at or above the A as well.

So since we had a good monitor and microphone system I wigged out my lower lip and blew some nasty High A's. Total monster notes with comparatively little stress. Would just get the tone going away from the mike and then quickly bring it over when the pitch is stable. Think I played about 11 of them on that song. Funny as hell and exciting too. My biggest concern with wigged notes is that my chops can slip out of position during the blow.

With wigged chops you get a glimpse of how the truly gifted live their whole trumpet careers. Its so easy for them to play high notes naturally. Frankly I think they ought to pay a tax to the rest of us for being so endowed. Just ain't fair...