Changing mouthpieces between practice/gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by iainmcl, Aug 22, 2011.

1. iainmcl

iainmcl Pianissimo User

Nov 4, 2006
    New Zealand
    Sorry, I should've qualified my query just a little better. Rowuk, I do agree with you. I do the majority of my playing/practice on my medium mpc, but if I have a lead gig or even a rehearsal then I practice on my medium-shallow mpc that's more approriate for the gig...etc.

I'd love to use my medium mpc for everything, but the fact of the matter is that my chops (while still getting stronger) just can't handle the workload...yet. Both mouthpieces are the same except for the cup depth.

Mouthpiece selection is a rarity here in New Zealand, so most players just deal with whatever they have. I don't have the luxury of being able to play-test a bunch to find something more fitting for everything I play.

I work cruiseship gigs (for now) and to question my respect for the people listening? Well, the average cruiseship guest doesn't know what they're listening to when we play a show, but my personal musical integrity is always working 110%. I just sometimes wish the other guys in the bands thought the same

Sorry if I got a little skewed off topic here.

2. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    HI all
    I play the trumpet with a bach3C and a cornet with a Dennis Wick 3B. I mainly practice on the trumpet.
    I Have just ordered a cornet and trumpet mouthpiece with the same cups as I already have but they will both have the same Rim.
    This will give me the same feel when swapping Instruments.

Cheers

3. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Once again, Rowuk and VulganoBrother have nailed it.

The fact is that the lips learn how to work inside a given diameter and are confused and inconsistent when made to deal with another.

Lew Soloff is one of the only players that I know of that can change mouthpieces in the middle of a session/song/gig and make it work. For the rest of us mere mortals, consistency is the thing. The rim has to be the same. The cup, throat and backbore can change with some affect but the rim is the thing.

4. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    It's like having a good wife, it's best to stay with one.

5. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I use multiple mouthpieces on different horns. If I play the peckhorn, it's impossible to go to the Heim 1 on my Llewellyn, so I use a 5c Lexan mouthpiece that I modified to fit.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Got to disagree:
    Anyone that plays more than 1 instrument will play different mouthpieces, size, rim etc.
    12C on Trom, 15C on Baritone, French Horn, Picc, Eb, and Bb.

Lew Soloff is one of the only players that I know of that can change mouthpieces in the middle of a session.
    Ahh... Clark Terry, James Morrison, Maynard Ferguson, Arturo Sandoval...etc...

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Any trumpet players out there from the Middle East that want to weigh in on this perspective?

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, this is true and in this situation it is necessary. But when it is not necessary, why would you want to sacrifice accuracy on and embouchure that is set for a certain size? I do switch as well when I go from trumpet to flugel, and in either direction of change I go, it takes me a few systems down the page to readjust and gain better control and accuracy of my attack.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The original post was not about changing horns, it was about having a "workout" and "performance" mouthpiece.

There is no debate about different mouthpieces for different horns, there is also no issue whether the rim should be the same on all your mouthpieces - If it works for you yes, if not no. Your personal preferences do not necessarily apply to others and therefore, there is no basis for debate.

In the case of a picc, the mouthpiece can improve intonation dramatically, why wouldn't we want to change? We do need to practice enough to be comfortable with that change.