Changing Rims

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by R.A.S., Jan 23, 2005.

1. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Is staying with the same rim essential?

Currently, the best results that I get for lead work is on a JetTone Vintage Bill Chase model.

In contrast, the best results that I have for legit/all-around playing is a Monette C1-5M.

Should I just try not to worry so much about switching rims?

Or, should I be pursuing two mouthpieces with the same rim, like:
    Warburton 4M/4MD (.660)
    Monette C4/B4/B4L (.660)
    Curry 3ZM/3BC (.665)
    Monette C1-5M/B1-5L (.670)
    ??

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Currently I'm in your shoes. I like having the flexibility that two mouthpieces can afford you. I'm currently using a Schilke 14 and 14A4A. It's working pretty well so far. My advice is that staying with the same size rim, while not necessary, is recommended. It just makes switching easier as you'll be using the same muscles for both, and they'll be comfortable with the rim.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Do what works!

I don't think I would tell a student to have completely different mouthpieces, but someone who is more seasoned it should not be a problem.

There is a guy in our band (a very good player) who has drilled holes in his mute holder to hold mouthpieces. He will change mouthpieces in the middle of a piece during the rests. I could never do that! But it works just fine for him.

JIm

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Ain't no big thang.

When i was in school, I played a 2 1/2 C for band and orchestra, 14a4a for jazz band and a 7EW for the picc.

I didn't know any better and just did what I thought I was supposed to do.

Since you play the same mouthpiece for classical stuff I do, I'd investigate a monette lead piece if you haven't already and go with a Prana if you can.

ML

5. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Manny,
    Thanks for lending more of your wisdom!
    My B1-5L is on it's way back to me in the mail.
    I had loaned it to a friend in Illinois.
    If I can't get it to play in-tune (which was the problem before), I'll have to get a new one from Monette.
    {Hopefully, my former intonation struggles were related to my approach up above high E, and not the mouthpiece's problem. When it comes, I'll practice a lot on relaxing up high, and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure it will be a whole new ballgame.}
    Thanks, sir!
    Ray

6. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    If it hasn't bothered you before, I wouldn't worry about it. I switch between a 1-1/2C for Classical, a Marcinkiewicz 12.4 Ingram for Lead work, and a 14a4 in my pic. And I've been using these mps for years with no problem switching.

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Bach 11/4C. I'll switch horns to get the sound for different ensembles normally before I switch pieces.

I can't wait till the Kellys get here, lol. I also plan on getting a Rudy Muck (Why don't the have larger diameters?), a Faxx, and *hopefully* one of those Monettes sometime.

Of course, I want a lot of things... :-P

Van

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    How big does it need to be? The Muck 19 is about the size of a Schilke 13 (close to a 1.5 C both measured and spec). The chambered throat makes it feel bigger. I actually sell a fair amount of Muck 19s. :D

Jim