Changing the Backbore to get a little darker

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Bach 1 1/4C Man

Bach 1 1/4C Man Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2004
    I have a dark tone in the middle to low register but in the uppper register its a little bright not a bad bright but it could be darker. I play on a Bach Megatone 1-1/4C mothpiece I'm thinking of getting a new Bach 1-1/4C meagtone with a number 3 or 24 or 7 backbore.
    No. 24: bigger, darker, symphonic
    No. 7: dark, Schmitt style
    No. 3: dark
    I would like know who has done the same thing I love my mouthpiece size and a switch like that is not an option

2. fundenlight

fundenlight New Friend

Aug 2, 2005
    I used a Bach 3C with a 24 backbore for quite some time. A lot of the guys at my college are playing on 3C's and they all though my mouthpiece had a wider more open sound. The notes slot a little differently, but just listen for the sound you want and everything will come together. However, I recently switched to a Monette B2 and had a bunch of friends come over. I played a solo on both, some Getchell transposed up a tritone, some Arban's exercises, and did some sight reading. They had their backs to me the whole time so that they couldn't see what mouthpiece I was using and they all said the Monette was better for the exact same reasons. More clarity, more opulence, and much warmer sound. Just some things to think about.