Changing to a new embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Aug 27, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    With my current embouchure, I placed the mouthpiece too much to the right too low on my lip. I would use my top lip for vibration and would tighten my bottom lip and curl it into my mouth. The bottom of the mouthpiece would lie one centimeter below my lower lip and the top would lie in the middle of my upper lip. As a result, I have had really big endurance issues, a really small sound due to the fact that I use my upper lip to vibrate, and other really messed up stuff.
    My teeth are also different from most people. When most people clench their teeth, the bottom row of teeth is usually more into the mouth than the top row. When I clench my teeth, they are even and come down together perfectly.
    In order to get a new embouchure, I'm currently trying to center the mp and get both my bottom lip and upper lip into the mp 50/50 so that there can be better vibrations and I won't have that many endurance issues. Can people offer me their advice and help, because I don't think this feels hopeful for me or if I can continue playing the trumpet.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I say you need to consult with a good teacher who has experience with embouchure problems. A DIY approach is not the way to go. You don't know enough to do this by yourself. You may not need a embouchure change to solve your problems. You may just need to develop what you have. Only a good teacher can help you with this. So many people think that if they do this or that method or change this or that way of playing it will solve their problems. That's not the way it works.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Respectfully, I don't think you know enough about embochures or trumpet playing to make your own diagnosis. If you did, you wouldn't be having problems playing the horn in the first place. You're looking at a level of detail that you know nothing about (lip vibration, placement of teeth, lip curl, mouthpiece placement, etc.) so before you go any further (and cause more damage) I think you should find someone knowlegdable who can help.

Good luck...

4. trmpt_plyr

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Someone knowledgable has already helped me, and that is what he told me. I'm just wondering if more people have any advise if my bottom lip was curled in too much.

5. trmpt_plyr

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I'm also not questioning the person who taught me, I'm just wondering if more people have advice

6. progmac

progmac Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2009
    Don't get discouraged, it will be all right. I remember when I did an embouchure change, I literally couldn't play a third space C. Everything was airy and felt unnatural. My daily routine was a nightmare. But I practiced every day and it got better. It was six months before I was comfortable. I'm 13 months in now and couldn't play another way and have noticed many benefits. Keep playing and it will develop and feel okay. FWIW my change was from 2/3 bottom lip to 2/3 top lip.

I don't mean to speak to the need for an embouchure change, but only how long it takes to feel normal again.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Embouchure changes take time and regular lessons with your teacher. I assume you are still taking lessons from them. Without seeing and hearing you play it's impossible to tell if this is right for you. If you feel you are making progress with your current teacher stay with them.

8. trmpt_plyr

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Everything feels tight, and I can barely play the c in the middle of the staff. I can play the a below the c if im lucky. everything is also really, really tight. And my change is from 90% top lip to 50% top lip 50% bottom lip. Does anybody else have ideas?

9. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Don't worry about which notes you can't play. The purpose of switching your embouchure is to get a clearer sound. When I switched my embouchure to a proper one, my range was poor. However, range tends to come back pretty quickly, because a lot of your muscles have already developed. Focus on getting a clear sound.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    what made a big difference in my playing was how I used my lower jaw with my lip curl, by pushing the lower jaw forward ,especially when going higher will prevent the embouchure from shutting down, in all my years of teaching and performing I've noticed that it's not so much where you place the mouthpiece, but it's how you use the lips and jaw that makes the big difference.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009