Changing to synthetic oil

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by borge705, Dec 23, 2008.

1. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    I bought a bottle of Ultra Pure today with the intent to change my horn(s) over to synthetic oil. I also bought the same brand slide grease.

My question is... can I adequately clean the old petroleum-based oil off myself with warm water and detergent, or should I have the horns chemically cleaned before using synthetic oil? Is there a problem if the two oil types mix?

One horn is a 6 year old Strad that has had Al Cass in it since day 1. The other is a '59 Connstellation that I have on loan and considering buying (will only change the oil if I actually buy it).

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Normal cleaning with warm water and detergent will be sufficient, Havent used Ultra Pure yet, used AliSyn for a number of years. Lots of good oils available now. Currently using Eclipse, came with the horn.

Regards, Stuart

3. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Clean the horn well with warm water and detergent. Then make sure it is COMPLETELY dry before adding the Ultra-pure. I switched my Schilke to Ultra-pure about 4 months ago... I will never go back to conventional oil.

4. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    IMHO, don't pay for chemical cleaning, you can do it yourself. Like someone else said, use lukewarm water for a laquer coating (I think hot for a silver coating but don't hold me to this) and just take apart the axe, wash it, maybe do a wipe on all of the parts with a rag, and leave it to dry.

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I like to use standard dish washing liquid. Does a good job of breaking down the oils. You have make sure you get all of the soap residue out and that the horn drys completely before adding more oil, though. And I use luke warm on my silver horn...

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That's what I would do.

Also I believe you will be VERY happy with Ultra-Pure oils and greases.

Ken Saul has made a great product and it is the only product I ever now.

-cw-

7. pbk917

pbk917 New Friend

Oct 11, 2007
    York, PA
    On a similar topic. I see much mention of the horn having to be completely dry before applying the oil. Why? When I clean my trumpet with soap & water my main goal is to make sure that I remove all of the soap. I dry the surface with a soft rag & try to blow out most of the water inside, but I never wait for it to dry before re-assembling. Am I hurting something?

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Not just any rag. One that is lint-free, like micro-fiber or chamois, or an old silk tie or skarf. Getting small fibers into the valves is a real nuisance.
    veery

9. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Oil and water don't mix. If your valves and bores are not completely dry, oil may not cover them completely. I use hot water on my silver trumpet and valves which drys quickly. Also I use a hair dryer to finish the process. I want everything bone dry before assembling. This does make a difference you can feel. Be careful not to get things to hot with the hair dryer.

10. bkonstans1

bkonstans1 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 19, 2007
    Aurora, IL
    When I went from Holton valve oil to Ultra Pure, I just washed my horn out like it was a normal bath, and everything is working just fine.

By the way, Ultra Pure is THE BEST. Hands down, best stuff ever. 2 weeks after applying it, its just like its been freshly applied every time I take the horn out to play. Best $24 bucks I ever spent (got 4 of em on eBay straight from the manufacturer).

Peace,