Changing Trumpet Identity

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Dec 3, 2007.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow,
    the cornet is in fact a more "intimate" instrument. I played a Taylor medium bore cornet about 6 months ago. It knocked my socks off. Free blow, the sweetest sound on the planet, in tune and FUN! Not something to knock walls down, but something to cuddle up with when tackling a Carnival!
    The bell being close to the ear does have a lot to do with it! The "extreme" conical bore too!
    There is a Santa by the way, he has just been mutated by the internet generation into something much less desirable! During the times where affluence was not such a big issue, he represented hope and anticipation and wishes that could perhaps come true especially for kids that were not so well off.
    I gave some stem cells for a girl with leukemia last month. It looks like she is going to make it. Santa has been good to us!

2. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    rowuk,
    That was a wonderful thing to do, and I'm happy for the girl. At 35 my son still asks me if it was me dressed as Santa setting gifts under the tree as he peaked from the stairway (as a child of course). I don't remember the incident, but told him he's one of the lucky adults who has doubts about Santa's existance. Trumpeters need to herald the spirit of Santa more than ever.............crow

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have to agree with crow, Robin, about your gift for the young leukemia victim. Tell us her first name and I will add her to my prayers, which I truly believe elicit positive results.

Last evening I had the pleasure to play several lead solos on my 100+ year-old HN White Cornet, in a small club. I love its buttery sound. It works wonders in that kind of place, and I can hear it better (than my trumpet). The trumpet players had to struggle not to blow the front of the audience out of their seats.
    V

4. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    I believe the backbore has more to do with sound than anything else. And it isn't just small versus lorge as the shape seems to have alot to do with it.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't get any names for 2 years. They anonomize the E'mails too. Something about legal and emotional issues. If everything works out, we get to meet in 2 years, provided we both want to. I am happy with the occasional heads up for now! Let's just call her "Miss Canada" for the time being!

Hope, anticipation and wishes that could come true. Maybe add learning to wait............

Billy,
    the backbore (shape and volume) and cup (shape and volume) have an incredible influence on the proportion and distribution of overtones as well as the intonation.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  6. Dr. Zink

Dr. Zink Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2007
    North Coast US
    I believe that it was just such experimentation driven by the general trend for brighter timbres (among other factors) that brought about the obsolescence of the old short model cornet in the early 20th cent.

The cornet seems to be returning to its earlier roots especially with respect to using deeper funnel shaped mouthpieces (this trend started maybe 15 or 20 years ago) as opposed to simply short-shanked trumpet mouthpieces which became popular (in America at least) starting in the 1920s or so.

Do we see any trends these days regarding trumpet timbre? I'd like to think its slowly gravitating toward darker rather than brighter. (its so hard to give up that competetive edge!)

Dr.Z