Changing your sound by accident

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by old geezer, Feb 15, 2005.

1. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    For years I worked on a bright commercial tone ( never quite perfecting it ), but last summer I got a partial plate -3 teeth bottom left. All of a sudden I have a beautiful nice warm tone. I believe this is due to a change in my oral cavity. I love my new sound and with my Mt. Vernon it is even better. Has anyone else had this happen to them, I wonder if someone is looking for a specific sound can a good Dentist design something to help you achieve that sound?? old geezer Dave :cool:

2. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Dear Old Geezer,

Funny you should mention the partial plate, as while I was looking at my wife's partial plate this morning, I was thinking the same. Only she makes the same sounds.

Great to hear that you found your sound. I know how you feel.

Now you have to practice more to maintain it. Otherwise you will sound like my wife.

Gary

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When I was a senior in High School, I got all 4 wisdom teeth pulled one fine Friday afternoon. It had an immediate and large impact on my playing. On the plus side, my sound became bigger and darker. On the down side, I lost some range and endurance.

I believe you when you say that the partial changed your sound.

4. kanstulmeha440

kanstulmeha440 New Friend

Feb 6, 2005
    Detroit
    I had all four of my wisdom teeth out (at the same time) over the summer and while I was healing up my lower jaw had its growth spurt (tangent: your body grows at different times, and your lower jaw is one of the last things to grow) by the time I finished healing and was ready to play my jaw had finished growing and I had gone from an overbite to an underbite. Because of this change, I had to develope a different embouchure. All 6 years of playing before this incident I had a rather bright and sometimes very bright sound, now I have a very full, dark, round sound. My range has decreased hugely after that as well, but it's slowly increasing again.

5. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Funny you shoud mentoin that. I attended a jazz camp at University of North Texas with Mark Stinel, Jay Saunders, and Roddy. Jay happend to be working with my big band that day and he told us a story involving Maynard, (Maynard told Jay this).

Maynard was on one of his tours playing gig after gig. And after the gigs he would mingle with the crowd and chill with them. After one gig there was the kid at BEGGED maynard to tell him how he plays so high. The kid told maynard that he wanted to be him and have his range and be great. Well, the next gig the kid showed up again and begged for maynard's "secret", but maynard just told the kid about air supply. For the next 10 or so gigs this kid would follow maynard asking him the same question. Finally, Maynard broke down and showed the kid how he could play so high.

When mynard ws young he had a cavity between the two front teeth. He went to the dentist and had him plug it up thus eliminating the air hole.

That is what Maynard told the kid and to prove the validity of the story Maynard popped out the plug and showed the kid. Well, the next gig Maynard found the kid again after the show and the kid smiled and popped out a plug. The kid went to the dentist and order him to drill out a hole in his teeth and put a plug in there!

Maynard was sick to his stomach because he felt responsible for telling the kid about the plug.

6. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Interesting..I heard a variation on that story. Not sure how relitable my source is...

I heard that Maynard had a space between his two front teeth and there was some crazy fan that wanted to be just like him and had the space put in his teeth too. The fan went up to Maynard after a show to show him that he had a space put in to be just like his hero. As the guy was telling MF this he smiled and showed the fan that he had just had his space fixed. The guy had the space put it and Maynard didn't have his anymore!

Anyway, that's the version I heard but I've questioned a few things from my source so it could be skewed.

7. mcamilleri

mcamilleri New Friend

Jul 18, 2004
    New Zealand
    I heard the exact same story about the gap getting filled in from Maynard himself at a workshop about 2 years ago. Can't get a better source than the man himself. The man was Japanese from what I recall, and spoke hardly any English.

Of course, Maynard might be just rattling our chains - he is a showman after all!

Michael