Chapped lip mystery solved

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Inkwolf, May 17, 2014.

1. Inkwolf

Inkwolf Pianissimo User

May 26, 2013
    Last winter, my tone started becoming thin and sputtery due to chapped lips. It got so bad, I gave up playing for January, February and March. Figuring I was safe in April, no longer having to walk the dog in winter winds, I restarted, with the same problem. When May rolled around with no improvement, I started trying various lip balms and increasing my water intake. Didn't help much. My lips got raw and sore, and I had to take a week off. Anytime I wasn't smearing lip balm on, I swear I could feel my lips drying out by the minute.

The answer finally hit me yesterday.

Back in fall, I got hit with a whopping case of acid reflux, and had to make some diet changes. The spicy frozen burrito I had for lunch at work every day was out, and I replaced it with instant ramen bowls. (Fast, cheap, easy, relatively non-perishable and microwaveable.)

It didn't occur to me that slurping hot salty noodles over my lips three to five times a week might be the problem, but after a day or two without, my lips are already feeling softer and less raw.

Ah, man...what to take for lunch now?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread and a fresh apple (pre-cut in small chunks to nibble slowly) after eating the peanut butter sandwich. Only water to drink. Important: Do not eat in office, and preferably not on job site. Relax while at lunch. Time left ... walk.

3. Inkwolf

Inkwolf Pianissimo User

May 26, 2013
    Ah, yes, I suppose I might have to resort to peanut butter sandwiches. Half a loaf of bread left in the fridge at work should take care of a week or more. (I always do have some raw fruit and veggies, too.)

Or maybe I'll just eliminate the salty flavor pack from the noodles and find something else to put on them.

4. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Peanut butter, whole wheat bread, and honey are staples in my little office pantry. So are apples. So me and Ed agree.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I didn't say anything about the honey as would likely do "whirly gigs" with my diabetes, but I can lick my lips thinking about peanut butter and honey whipped together ... and if the Docs aren't looking I'll add some of my wife's chocolate syrup that she puts on her ice cream. Or for something wild, add either banana slices, or alternatively drained sliced pineapple to your honey and peanut butter sandwich. Now I'll warn you, it is more difficult to play higher with the leftover smudge of peanut butter/etc. in your mouth and you'll not like the job of cleaning your instrument.

6. Inkwolf

Inkwolf Pianissimo User

May 26, 2013
    Well, I work in a library, so I most likely won't ever have the opportunity to play my trumpet right after lunch there. :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions, I will probably end up stocking peanut butter.