Chapped lips and hateful glares

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Oct 11, 2009.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    agh... so... this is a bit of a rant session... but we had a four hour practice on saturday before our marching competition, and i had had no previous problems with chapped lips... so i never invested in DCT like my director suggested...and my lips got epically SCREWED... So i went and bought DCT today and im living with it but my lips are so DRY... its crazy... im in a horrible mood because i can play but the notes break... gah... am i doing all i can to heal my f'd up lips or can i do something else? man this just makes me mad... and depressed a little...

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Alright, being this happened (but more extreme) to me during band camp, my hint, first off use chap stick like crazy. Second drink a lot of water, even if you aren't thirsty, hydrate yourself, it will help your lips feel better. Third, lay off the playing, I know in marching band you almost HAVE to play, but make an attempt, when possible, to just not play, give your chops a break, your going to need them next weekend (or whenever your next competition is). I know it makes you mad that your chops are messed up, in my case when mine got messed up it wasn't even my fault! You can imagine how annoyed I was!

Simple advice, I know, but for me it worked, and healed my lips, very quickly, and in my case that was with completely beaten up lips (to the point of blood).

..........just my .02 cents

3. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    cool dude thanks... this blistex DCT is major help... ill def drink more water if you suggest it... as for not playing... yea right... tommorow second period jazz my saxophone jazz instructor will tell me to try and play the high notes... well see lol... maybe hell look at the desert sprouting from my face and be like... "feel free to play down two octaves lmao"

4. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    and yea... regional competition this up coming saturday...

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no solution for dumb, and I don't mean you.
    Intelligent rehearsing doesn not mean bop till you drop. It involves intense periods of training and breaks to let that stuff soak in. During those times problems with the chops become obvious before damage has been done.
    Judging from many of the marching band posts, we have quite a few animals out there that need some training in how to run rehearsals. All of you have to learn when to say NO. It is not letting the team down when you play the high notes an octave down in rehearsal. You are actually providing some insurance that stupidity does not take its toll.

Now we have an instructor perscribing Blistex. Are cortison, beta blockers and anabolica around the corner?

7. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Kick your director in the beanbag. PROBLEM SOLVED

8. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    yea i felt my lips burning so i stopped playing... but it didnt get any better... im not worried any more they healed up fine so... i get ya rowuk... and yea it makes me mad to... but unfortunately this is my life and ima deal with my instructor... for now i follow mayb later on ill grasp it myself... but everything was fine...