Chapped lips "feeling"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by salebow, Jul 28, 2014.

1. salebow

salebow New Friend

Jul 10, 2014
    Edmond, OK
    Guys, I have a question. As a comeback trumpet player after about a 15 year layoff, I’ve been having to reform my embrochure and retrain my lips. I’ve noticed that ever since day one that I have this chapped lips “feeling” but it is above my actual “lip.” It feels like it is in the area between the red part of my lips and my nose where my normal facial hair is. It is worst around where the mouthpiece sits on my skin. The area feels constantly dry for the most part and very, very slight hint of a burning feeling. I don’t know what to do. If I don’t practice for a day, it’ll feel better, but I try to practice an hour every day. I do long tones, slurring up and down, technical exercises and simple articulation stuff every day. I used to not feel like this when I was a serious student and player a long time ago. I don’t know if being where I live now in Oklahoma and the dryer weather has anything to do with it, but when I was a student in Mississippi with the extreme humidity, I didn’t have this problem. After I get done practicing, it feels stiff sometimes. If I could just get rid of the chapped “feeling,” I would be one happy camper. Do you guys have any advice?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I could be that you've developed a silver allergy. The worst offenders are nickel and brass, but it could be that you've picked up silver allergy.Our fourth horn suddenly developed an allergy to not just silver, but gold as well. He ended up using a derlin rim.

Any difference in antihistamine use between Mississippi and Oklahoma?

3. salebow

salebow New Friend

Jul 10, 2014
    Edmond, OK
    The only allergy I know of is penicillin for medicine and the trees you use for christmas trees. Yes, I know it sounds weird, but it's true.

4. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Hi
    And welcome back to the horn :D

I think you'll be fine ,however it would'nt hurt anything to see a doc about this ?

I had the same feeling at times when I started back up (after 35 years ) ,mostly it was because i was trying to hard ,playing to long ,or straining to much to get up high ,it should take care of itself as you get stronger in the chops . Take your time play a lot of simple songs etc. rest often ,and don't get all concerned about having a few days off now and then :roll: enjoy !

Dean_0

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am with VB on this one. Does your mouthpiece have any pitting or exposed brass? I had something happen when I placed my mouthpiece on a table. I didn't realise that there was a residue on the table and it would get on the rim of the mp and cause irritation.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Definitely check the metal allergy angle... but also watch for facial hair getting in the way and causing some irritation. Also, maybe an hour is too much. Try breaking it up into smaller chunks (3x 20 mins with rest in between sessions).

Look for some balm to apply after playing with some healing qualities. Herbs like arnica, comfrey, callendula, etc... have a reputation for having healing properties to deal with muscle soreness/bruising, irritation, swelling and such.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Lip balm is the answer.

I personally use Trader Joe's Virtuoso, but in the past I had success with Burt's Bees Wax too.

I ALWAYS have a tube in my pocket and I ALWAYS leave an extra tube in my trumpet case.

8. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    I had the same thing. Tried the Roche-Thomas, Mi-T-Mist mouthpiece cleaner about every other day (just a quick couple of pumps of the sprayer) solved the problem.

There is alcohol is this, so may be killing off something that was irritating me.

9. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I used to get the same thing when I first started playing. The part above the top lip is particularly sensitive in comparison
    to other parts of your face. The allergy seems to be the best bet, but if it doesn't turn out to be an allergy,
    see if moisturizing more of your upper lip or growing a mustache/goatee helps. It may just be that part
    of your skin getting used to so much "action" that it hasn't seen in a long time.