Chapped lips problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Roshoka, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Roshoka

Roshoka New Friend

Jun 30, 2013
    Ok, here's the deal: anytime I skip a day of practice my lips get chapped, bad. To the point where your lips kind of peel, after just skipping one day. I really don't know what to do. I've tried chap stick, Vaseline, chop saver, and blistex dct. The blistex works the best, but it still doesn't completely prevent the bad chapping that occurs after skipping one or two days of playing. I'm wondering if it is just something normal or possibly lip damage, because I don't know anyone else with this problem. No one seems to have an answer either.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

1) Don't miss a day of practice

OR

2) Rub Vitamin E onto your lip just after finishing practicing or playing.

3. Roshoka

Roshoka New Friend

Jun 30, 2013
    Where would I get vitamin e?
    And what would vitamin e do exactly?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Any pharmacy or many super markets, Walmart, Meijers would carry this. They come in 400 or 800 Units. I recommend the 400 as they are easier to work with. I would use a toothpick to poke a hole in one end, then squeeze our a couple drops on your finger and rub this into the area of your lips that chap.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Chapped lips from playing the trumpet can come from physical irritation (from playing) or from swollen lips.

If your lips get chapped only on days you don't play, then I suspect your lips may be swelling on your days off.

If this is the case, then chapstick, vitamin E, etc. might help. But the horse is already out of the barn. In other words, the damage (the swelling) has already occurred.

Maybe try to focus on ways to prevent the swelling in the first place. Never play to the point of exhaustion. Do a good warm down after you're done playing for the day. And maybe find 15 minutes to do some gentle playing on your days off.

Mike

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Both Docs provide an excellent preventive supplement, and just from experience (as I'm not a Doc) when my lips seem damaged I nurse them with pure aloe gel or a dibble of the liquid from a live plant leaf, since we have many of these plant on hand, the latter as also is remedy for mild skin abrasions and sunburn, and dry skin. Well, we've a big bottle of pure aloe gel on hand also. Ha! Ha! It's a great hair pomade for working in the heat and wind but don't overdo this latter as it as it will become a messy run-off ... as another pomade said, " a dab will do you".

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I don't really suffer much from chapped lips but on the odd occasion I do get them I find vaseline with aloe vera an easy cheap fix.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    1) Don't overdo playing on your "play-days".
    2) revive your lips with a nice drink every so often. I've found that a Bavarian mix called "Spezi" is the best. You can concoct that yourself by mixing one part orange juice (no bits) with five or six parts Cola. The caffeine in the cola will revive your spirits, and the acid in the juice will stop the swelling. It's my regular drink at gigs.

bumblebee likes this.
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    My chapped lips were of a similiar symptom (come and go, sorta) and brought on (for me) because of sunburned lips --- so you might have a touch of "angular chelitis" -- and fungal or microbial infection of the lips ( Angular cheilitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) -- -this happened to me 2 years of so ago. I used topical triple anti-biotic ointment, and "athletes foot cream" (anti-fungal agent) -- on my lips, and of course switched to CARMAX lip balm (with the SPF protection, so sunburn was less likely). the situation cleared up within 2 to 3 weeks!!!!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now with my diabetes, my blood sugar would jump so high I'd possibly develop convulsions if I drank such now. Lemon Cokes were a fav when I was in high school. Lime cokes with a shot of rum tasted good later after college.