Chapped lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 27, 2010.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I searched this topic but couldn't find anything, so I'm putting out a new thread.
    I have chapped lips, and it's seriously effecting my playing. Flexibility, and notes above and below the staff are difficult to execute. We're in the middle of Pollen season in Florida, and all sorts of respiratory problems are occuring..............HELP?

crow

2. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    One word: Chop Saver. Okay, that's two words, but I'm a heavy tipper. You can order it from Dillon Music. Just refresh this page until the ad comes up. Seriously, this is a problem that has plagued me for as long as I can remember. Chop Saver actually helps the healing process as well as protecting. I also use an ointment that I have made locally by a young lady just starting out in business. It's a little more expensive than Chop Saver, but isn't as waxy, so you can play right after applying it without your valves sticking. I can provide her address if you're interested. Oh, and the other thing that helped was growing a mustache. A real bother to keep tamed, but great for protection.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Any lip balm will work. The last reply suggested Chop Saver, which is fine. However, as a disclaimer, the only medically recognized benefit from any lip balm is with hydration (and UV protection if it contains a sun block). Benefits from additional ingredients are anecdotal. So in the end, it comes down to personal preference (like kcmt01 stated about sticky valves).

Other things you can do is to refrain from licking your lips, stay hydrated, avoid sun exposure, and keep the air in your home humidified.

You mentioned pollen and respiratory problems. Do you think more is going on other than just simple chapped lips?

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Drink lots and lots of water. Lots of it. More than the recomended amount daily (which i believe is somewhere around 64 oz). Chapped problems will definitely decrease.

5. andrew_jordan

andrew_jordan Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    i really only notice my lips being overly chapped after periods of time when i haven't played very much. i suggest something with camphor (i.e. Carmex) to help slough off all the dead skin: most players are against camphor because of a fear that it damages lip tissue, but I really only notice it breaking off callous, not effecting musculature or anything that deep.

I've also picked up a stick of blistex "complete moisture" that I feel makes a huge difference in keeping my lips feeling right.

So, yes, I carry two sticks of lip balm at all times.

BUT, the best thing I've noticed to keep my lips feeling supple and responsive is to keep playing, meaning NO days off, if they can be avoided. The vibrations help keep the skin from building up or gunking over.

6. andrew_jordan

Jun 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    p.s. living in the desert, this has been tossed around by just about every brass player i know.

someone recently mentioned that everything is purely anecdotal, which I tend to support as well.

not sure there's a universal cure... i went through every lip balm product i could find. this seems to work for me, but try multiple things to see what works for you.

keep in mind:
    chop savers = $5 plus shipping
    carmex = $.99 at the local drugstore

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    One thing I forgot to mention: The reason Blistex and Carmex don't work for me is that I'm allergic to wool fat (aka lanolin). Turns out this is a VERY common allergy. It would feel really good when I applied it, then an hour later skin would start peeling off. It took me years to finally pin down the problem! Something to consider, any way.

8. andrew_jordan

Jun 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    There's always the line by Burt's Bees. I don't like the tingly feeling, personally.

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Whatever your favorite lip balm, I suggest applying it liberally before you go to bed, and when you're outside, especially if it's a little windy. Salty food sometimes makes my chapped lips feel worse too. I also use some lip balm fight after I finish a practice session and that seems to help too. As for water, drinking more certainly won't hurt you, but I've tried long periods of almost excessive hydration and never noticed any change at all. Unless you're chronically dehydrated, I wouldn't get your hopes up, but trying can't hurt.

10. andrew_jordan

Jun 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    i just read that burt's bees has lanolin too.