Chapped lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 27, 2010.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm using a lip balm now, and it seems to be helping. I'm still not at my best but then again, maybe I'm just dreaming what that best was? Thanks again.........crow

2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Is your living/workplace too dry(not enough humidity)? Any lip balm works and I find it gives me a better seal on the mouthpiece.

3. Dan Gosling

Dan Gosling New Friend

Dec 7, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I think those who have tried lots of different ones will agree, not all lip balms are the same. The ingredients can vary a great deal. Many of them are petroleum based like ChapStick and Blistex. As for Carmex, it does contain camphor and menthol and those are DRYING agents.

ChopSaver was created for people like us who need something different. All natural, herbs that are known for their healing properties, NO LANOLIN, and by the way, it is used and endorsed by some of the greatest brass players in the world. I won't list them all, but you can see them at ChopSaver | Natural Lip Balm for Musicians with Lips.

And as far as "medically recognized" goes, ChopSaver is now recommended by dermatologists around the country as a superior moisturizer.

All the best,

Dan
    The ChopSaver Guy

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    No one else suggested, so I will: Avoid alcohol.

veery

5. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    ChopSaver really is great stuff. I burned my 3rd valve finger and used it on the burn, and it healed VERY quickly. I swear it makes your lips heal up more quickly. My only complaint is that it is not available as an ointment.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The physicians on the ChopSaver website are likely compensated endorsers, who are using carefully worded testimonials to avoid making any legitimate claims. This is not unique to ChopSaver, but is an approach used by many "natural/herbal" products. As a physician, I can tell you there is nothing superior about ChopSaver, and that no ethical physician would make such a claim. Go ahead and ask your own doctor or dermatologist.

However, these products do have differences. There may be a particular product that you especially like. One respondent felt it was easier to play the trumpet with a particular brand on his lips. So there are differences, and there are reasons to select one product over another.

EDIT: ChopSaver, which I assume was formulated with musicians in mind, might have some advantages. I also agree that menthol (and related ingredients) are more irritative than helpful. But I don't buy into the claim that it's a "superior moisturizer" or has herbs with "healing properties".

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This is true. Whether it's your finger or your lips, petroleum-based products (and related products like ChopSaver) will accelerate wound healing.

8. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Put me down for another ChopSaver vote. I put it on every night before bed, and whenever there's a danger of chapping (going outside in the cold, etc). I bought a 6-pack two years ago and I'm just now starting my 5th tube - if you use it sparingly as I do it will last a long-arse time. Haven't had chapped lips in 2 years.

I like the smell, I like the feel, I like that it's all natural, I like that when you go to the website a picture of Wayne Bergeron pops up.... It's just a no-brainer for me.

One word of advice: since the consistency of it is apparently a little bit softer than other lip balms, sometimes the stick of chopsaver inside the tube will get stuck in the cap. This can be a messy annoyance. I've discovered that if you unscrew it a bunch after use (so that the stick of chopsaver inside recedes down into the tube), you can avoid this problem.

I think if you ask nicely Dan will even send out free samples.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  9. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Try Aquaphor. It fixed my dry cracked lips when others (including chopsaver) weren't working.

10. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I don't know that much about chop saver, but isn't it bad if your working your lips to the point where you need to use something like that on a daily basis?