Chapped lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 27, 2010.

1. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I'm sorry, but here is another vote for ChopSaver. I have used it since before it became commercially available and I can only say one thing: IT WORKS!!!!

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I have the problem mostly during the cold months here. Sinus problems have me breathing through my mouth too much. I generally try to keep a Chap Stick with me and try to apply it as much as I can during the day. i don't like to have it on when I'm playing though. i do have allergy's, so have to be a little careful what I use........Buck:oops:

3. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I use Blistex medicated lip ointment ALL the time. It's a creme so it doesn't have a waxy feel or buildup. It doesn't gunk up my mouthpiece. I can even use it then play. It comes in little white tubes and I keep one in each case, in my bag, on my desk, in my car, you get the picture. It's available at most drugstores usually near the counter. It really works great!

4. chopshop3625

chopshop3625 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    I'm torn overlip balm/ chapped lips. I like Carmex and Chop Saver but I always worry about putting on just the right amount so that it gets absorbed before the next next time I play. But then there is a part of me that wants to be adaptable to any condition. (Outdoor) Summer gigs in 100 degree weather and winter gigs in near freezing weather are tough for me. So when my lips are chapped I feel like i should just suck it up and learn to play with chapped lips. My advice: chopsaver during the day. Blistex Lip Medex followed by Carmex at night. TRY lip medex, it is amazing.

5. chopshop3625

chopshop3625 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    BTW. Any advice on playing in extreme temperature conditions?

6. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I'm a retired truck driver. Now that I actually have a life, I play the cornet :-). While unloading, hooking up or dropping, I worked nights and outside in Vermont. The trick with lips it to not let them get chapped in the first place. Once they get chapped you're kind of toast until they heal. So be proactive and keep the "medicated" lip balm going all the time. Just remember the waxy stuff will leave a residue and the cremes will not. JMHO.

7. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Oh yea, forgot to mention. A&D Ointment is used on babies rearends for diaper rash. It also works great on the worst chapped anything; lips, dry hands, face, you name it. I use it alot. Now that being said, you need to use that just before you go to bed. It's not something you can use then play, but it works exceptionally well.

8. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Most important is to get a plastic mouthpiece. Wear fleece gloves if you can, or maybe something leathery that will block the wind better.

9. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Just to add one more thing to this chapped lips discussion. The last week I have had a terrible time with chapped lips. Normally I can fix them quick, but not this time. I tried a radical idea and put Heel Balm on them. It tastes awful, but worked overnight. Twice a day for a couple of days and I was back to normal. Sometimes you have to get out of the box.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I simply typed the word "chapped" into our search. 43 hits with all of exactly the same info that will be found here.

C'mon, you are all the internet generation. I am 53 and find almost everything that I am looking for.

Does anybody have a cure for chipped laps?