Chapped lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 27, 2010.

1. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I agree. I've also tried it. It seems to do what it's supposed to do, but no better than what I usually use (Carmex). Initially I was lured by the idea that it was specifically made "for musicians with lips."

2. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Glad you mentioned Carmex. The only reason I decided to try out ChopSaver was become my son came home from school one day over the winter and said his band director had told them not to ever use Carmex, because it was bad for your chops.

I, having used it, and seen others use it for ages and ages, thought this had to be a joke or something. I googled around, and /apparently/ the theory is the camphor in it (and Blistex) is bad for the muscle tissue in your lips over time.

I don't know if it's true or not, or if it is a 0.0000000001% deterioration if used for 45 years, 3 times a day, or if it's actually noticeable. If so, I haven't noticed it, or realized it.

It's not something I really worry about one way or the other, but for a couple bucks, I thought Chopsaver was worth a try. I think it's mostly in that 'snake oil' category, where it isn't bad for you, it has a very catchy name for musicians, doesn't make you smell like a chemical factory, etc.

But, whether or not it has any demonstrable medical benefits over any other brands, or promotes "muscle fidelity", or any of that stuff? Who knows. I'm not convinced it even matters. Maybe if I played a lot of outdoor gigs at the north pole, I'd feel differently. Anyone in Santa's band? :cool:

3. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

Great and helpful info, thanks.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Someone just resurrected a dozen old threads on TrumpetMaster and TrumpetHerald with the latest way to "stimulate circulation in the lips". ;-)

Mike

5. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

Great and helpful info, thanks.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mark,

there is a good possibility that this stuff is toxic. The laws governing foodstuffs and cosmetics do not apply, and there is not even a law requiring listing all of the ingredients for animal products.

I cannot recommend use unless there is acceptance of liability on behalf of the manufacturer - like on every product for HUMAN consumption.

I am not saying that it is bad, I am saying that the RISK is too great to warrant a recommendation. Any products applied near the mouth must meet very stringent requirements to guarantee no toxicity, allergic reactions or other side effects.

Digging up many old chapped lips threads is not helpful.