Charging to play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by akinsgre, Mar 12, 2014.

1. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was just asked to play for a church. First time for me.. what do you all ask for compensation?

How to you arrive at your amounts? Number of songs played, length of gig.. anything else to consider?

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    That is entirely up to you. If you want paid, tell them you charge $50.00 per church performance. That's very reasonable and send them an invoice. Then if they rip you off then you've possibly learned something greater than what they are preaching.
    Dr.Mark

3. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sounds like someone got burned before. It's a friend and it's one song, so I told them $20. Sorry for causing deflation among church trumpet performances.

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    It all depends on what you are worth and what the market will bear. You can not charge more than you are worth, and you can not charge more than the market will bear. You need to find the max in both categories that you can get away with.

How confident are you that you are going to nail the performance? If you are very confident start high and come down after they fall off their chairs.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi akinsgre,
    You stated:
    "Sounds like someone got burned before."
    ----
    Yep! and not only from churches. I've learned the hard way to always have a written offer and proof of acceptance.
    Business is business and that has nothing to do with making music.
    Dr.Mark

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I almost never invoice. With very few exceptions, you should get paid at the gig, and preferably before the start of the gig.

Right now, there's only one exception for me. I play a series of gigs for a charitable organization. Because of the way they are structured, they require an invoice after the gig. But I know this group, and have been working with them for a while.

Mike

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    "anything else to consider?"

Distance you have to travel. Whether you're required to rehearse with the organist or choir beforehand.

Mike

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    When I'm contacted for a gig, I ask what the remuneration is. If the amount is ok (or even better, more than I had in mind), I accept. If it's too low, I decline. I expect to be paid the day of the gig...no invoices and a promise of "the check's in the mail"...;-)

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    There are too many factors to consider....you could write an essay on this....

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My union sets me up for $200 for a church gig, which of course includes rehearsal time. The union pays me in advance.