Charging to play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by akinsgre, Mar 12, 2014.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Yoiu should factor in experience and proficiency of the organist. I once was asked to play a fairly big gig in St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna - the annual grand meeting of a charity, with the Cardinal celebrating Mass and all the doings. Five pieces to play. I chose the 1st movement of Torelli, Philip R. Buttall's Eclogue for Trumpet and Organ, a trumpet voluntary by William Boyce, and two Handel arias: Lest the Bright Seraphim and The trumpet shall sound (the vocal parts sung by my wife-to-be).
    Usually, with a programme of this sort, the organist should know most of the pieces and require only one rehearsal after receiving the printed music six weeks earlier.
    The guy that was chosen for us required nine rehearsals, and even after that made a total hash of things. After the second piece, a good friend of mine (whom we had brought on purpose, just to be on the safe side) had to get that... well... guy away from the organ and take over. We had agreed to play just for a free meal, and even that did not materialize...

2. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    This is a fascinating conversation to me because it is somewhat foreign to my experience. In my faith tradition all music is done volunteer by members, no one would think of asking for money, but then again no one would think of asking or even letting a non-member (using member loosely--someone who attends) play. The exception I guess would be a minister of music, which we have but he also has a portfolio that includes much more than music in pastoral duties. This is in a church of about 400 in weekly attendance. Then again, the music is guitars and keyboards and drums, never any brass, strings or woodwinds. Usually there are more capable musicians sitting in the pews who would love to be playing than we have place for.

I guess I do have some familiarity because as an army chaplain we paid a pianist, the Catholic congregation paid an organist and a choir director/cantor. But any other musicians were again volunteer.

It's amazing to me that there are so many churches paying musicians. I'm not saying it's wrong, not at all, just outside my experience.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    How much you charge to play, wherever such is, is a computation of time, including both performance and travel, plus a surcharge of 5% (or more) for maintenance ( instrument insurance, music, clothing, repairs & mileage). Were it a double day or more, it would also include meals and accommodation expenses. Locally, I charge $60.00/hour, playing or tutoring.

Were such to the furthest church I've played at locally, its another hour (2 way). Churches could save money if I can leave the service early.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    As far as church musicians being volunteers, it's personal. The musicians in the Old Testament were part of the Levitical priesthood. They didn't "work" to make money. They were paid from the other eleven tribes. Personally, I think it would be great to have a full time church gig. Not many churches like that though.

5. trackday

trackday Pianissimo User

Apr 8, 2013
    I'm pretty sure all of you would pitch in and pay me $60/hr not to play at your event.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you can play on pitch, your ahead of most singers. That is a novel approach though! PAY ME $60 AN HOUR OR I'LL PLAY!!!!!!!

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hey, I'll not play for $10. Just send it to my paypal account...

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    That's unfair, Dale. Yo're underbidding a fellow TMer!!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Four times in 24 hours I can't play, 3 are when I'm eating and the 4th is when I'm sleeping. Is there anyone here on TM that wants to pay me for these times? There were times that I was paid for these and not working, and the food wasn't the greatest nor was sleep when not in my own bed.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, the pay scale for not playing works inversely from the pay scale for playing. The better player you are, the less you are paid to not show up. Some people are worth big money to keep them from playing...:lol: