Charles Colin Lip Flexibility Exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Nov 11, 2011.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Greatings.

Is there any instructional book associated with Charles Colin Lip Flexibility Exercises. For example, Eric Bolvin wrote something for how to use Arban, in term of sequences and progression of exercises. Similarly, there is also information for how to use Schlossberg. Is there something out there for how to progress or what was intended for this approach. I am currently looking at Vol. 3, and there is an obvious progression between sections, but I am not too sure what is intended for the different exercises "within" each section.

BrotherBACH.

2. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    My teacher gets me to play 2-3 every 2 days, so will do say ex 2 and 3 on day one, not use it day 2 then do 3 and 4 day 3 etc.

I would suggest its like the aurban where you have sections in this case volumes 1, 2 and 3, so ex 1 from each volume to start with then ex 2 etc

as far as I know there isnt such a thing, but I may be wrong :)

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks Reedy. I kept searching this site and there is another thread on this that ultimately concludes that it is best to use this method under the direction of a teacher, which I am doing. So, all is good there. He was taught by Schlossbergs' son-in-law who actually compiled his book. So, he is very familar with that approach. He really likes the Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities and finds them very clever. But, we are not sure how things are to be done within each section, or range level. At this point, my teacher is "now" letting me take care of these physical things while we work together on my sight reading and building a repetoire.

BrotherBACH

4. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Here's what I would do:
    Week 1:
    Vol. 1 #1-3
    Vol. 2 Everything to "E"
    Vol. 3 Section 1-A, B, C

Week 2:
    Vol. 1 #4-5
    Vol. 2 Everything to "G"
    Vol. 3 Section 2-A, B, C

Continue like that, but stay on each section until it's easy. Might take more than a week or two.
    Eventually you'll hit a point where you can't go any further or you get too tired. Then it's time to stop, put the book away and do something else. Come back to Colin in six months and start over.

Eb

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Eric,

Thank you so very much. That is the kid of advice I was looking for.

BrotherBACH