Charles Schleuter on Breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John Mohan, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Mzony

Mzony Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey Manny,
    Your post got me thinking a little bit. Over the last year, I have been working on more rhythmic breathing, but generally I take slow long breaths. I think one of the reasons is my size (if it were not for my gut, you would consider me a small person), but I think I even developed it more, because it seems like with many conductors their cues (or up beats) don't always feel in time.
    So if I were going to try and breathe in strictly a metric manner, I would probably beat the conductor, and the ensemble, to the punch.
    I'm not saying I do this all the time,for every piece,or for every conductor, but I do notice in general I start inhaling sooner than my colleagues.
    But I won't lie, I have been working on my metric breathing over the last couple of years too.
    Just wanted to know what you thought of all this...It is certainly an issue, I think of often.

Mike

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Always beware of the enemy.Their upbeats sometimes bear no relation to their intended tempo :evil: I have over the years developed a quick intake of air, usually on the upward motion of the maestro......."What goes up must come down, spinning"........sorry I was having a BS&T moment. I always have to know where the attack goes. Breathing in rhythm helps accurately making loud or soft first attacks.

Wilmer