Charlie Parker; inspiration!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by treble_forte, Nov 26, 2010.

1. treble_forte

treble_forte Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    YouTube - Charlie Parker interview

This is relevant to all music. He worked. He REALLY worked hard at his craft. It isn't just "natural talent" or "born with it" he worked his ass off, and he really made his instrument sing. He is such an inspiration to me, I hope you enjoy the interview!

Mike

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Eleven to fifteen hours of practice a day for several years ... :shock:. Wow.

Illuminating interview, thanks for that one, Mike.

Turtle

3. treble_forte

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    Welcome! Absolutely humbling! I thought I was doing well when I used to do 6. Gotta crawl back up from my measly (embarassing)hours right now.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that he probably had some talent too. There are people who could put in that kind of time and never really be able to connect the dots. I know people like that - people who work hard at it and never seem to get any better.

Charlie: I put in at least 11...11 to 15 hours a day ...I did that for over a period of 3 to 4 years
    Interviewer: ...I guess that's the answer...chuckle
    Charlie: that's the facts anyway

Right there he's saying that yeah, he worked hard, but he also knows that he was talented too. He goes on to say:

"oh definitely - study is absolutely necessary....schooling brings out the polish of any talent"

He knew he was talented, but he also knew that in order to maximize that talent, he needed to work on it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Incredible amounts of practice do NOT make creative. They just give the players tools to let that out.

This guy had monster chops before he even could play a note. His drive to chip away everything human holding him back is truly inspirational.

That may be a point for some of us: take a step back and evaluate where we are. Then we perhaps can smell if 10+ hours a day is worth it. The truly posessed can't do anything else anyway.

6. treble_forte

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    I have made a subtle change of words in the initial post. I stand by what I say, and indeed meant to say when I chose the incorrect wording.

7. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Motivation is a the key to why people become great. everyone has a talent, few find it and even fewer give it the timne and effort it needs.
    have a look at number 7 on the utube link below. Mr Jorden really worked at his talent too.
    YouTube - 10 Great Motivational Quotes
    One of the greatest talents is knowing how to get better.

8. treble_forte

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    Superb video, oldgit! I agree with your sentiments.

Mike

9. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Anyone who wants to be able to play jazz in a convincing way has to learn Parker's vocabulary, it's the lingua franca of jazz to this day. Even Keith Jarrett says that when he's playing with his trio what he's thinking is Parker.