Charlier 1

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tennis_the_menace, May 26, 2007.

1. tennis_the_menace

tennis_the_menace Pianissimo User

Jan 11, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    So......I am playing this etude for a recital coming up in two weeks.
    I've got it down pretty good, I think;-)
    I would just like to hear a recording of it, if possible I would rather not buy a CD (because I don't have any money):-)
    I can't find a recording of this on the internet.
    Do any of you know where I could find one? It could just be a recording of yourself.
    thanks

2. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Charlier for a recital? Uh... okay. If you want there was a CD that came out in 1995 of David Baldwin called The Etudes of Charlier and Bitsch. It's a Double CD set of recordings from 1979 and 1980 from Minnesota.

3. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    I performed Charlier #2 for a brass recital hour and for Vincent Chicowitz in a master class as an undergraduate music student and another Charlier etude for an Air Force band audition right before receiving my M.M. So, I think it is fine to perform it for a recital, but may be not the most traditional form of pieces often performed for them.

I’ve also heard about the recording. My advice given to me by a former trumpet teacher who studied with Armando Ghitalla is to think and go light on the tongue. It will make it easier to play it faster and will sound more articulate.

Janell

4. tennis_the_menace

Jan 11, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    heck yes, for a recital! :D

I think that tomorow maybe I will post a clip of me playing it, so I can get some comments *twitch*:shock:

5. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    There are piano accompaniments available for many of the Charlier etudes. If you're going to play one on a recital, it might be the way to go.

J

6. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    That's just too cool to do a Charlier for a recital, I've just never seen anyone do it before. Best of luck on it and please keep us updated.

Jon

7. tennis_the_menace

Jan 11, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    Need some help.....:-(
    I was going to post myself playing it, but all three times I played it was utter crap.
    I cannot get throught the entire etude without craping out at the end. After I have to go below the staff to the A everthing falls apart.:-(
    So, after the retard towards the end is a long break ok?
    And also the V signs that "indicates a breath", is it ok to take a break there?
    Help please, don't want to crap out at recital.:-(

8. Scooter01

Scooter01 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2006
    Think of these etudes in terms of self expression and not as literal interpretations. It's OK to take some liberties as long as the musical message gets through. After the retard at the end, and for the most part at each double bar, it is acceptable to take a slight pause before continuing. By slight I mean short but a definite pause. Slightly longer than an eighth rest. Shorter than a dotted quarter rest. Does that help? It can add some drama and seperate the musical thoughts into paragraphs for lack of a better description.

9. tennis_the_menace

Jan 11, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    So.....5 seconds would be unacceptable? :-)

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If your audience is not looking at the score, 5 seconds is just fine.

There is a big difference between a recital and an audition. The audience at a recital just wants to hear nice things, and audition jury is looking for reasons to sort you into some category.
    Etudes in a concert setting are a great idea, as long as they don't sound like a practice session!
    If you are having trouble getting through, there is a reason though. Maybe you are not taking deep enough breaths - without proper air support, the muscles have to do ALL of the work. Better breathing is the best quick fix that I can offer over the internet.