Charlier No. 30

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wfrayer46, Jun 5, 2013.

1. wfrayer46

wfrayer46 New Friend

May 16, 2013
    Lorain, OH
    I am new to this forum, but thought I'd try this post. If I am in the wrong forum, please advise. Thanks!

Question: Does the quarter remain constant in etude 30 at 108 = quarter or does the dotted quarter equal the quarter note? It makes a difference in the performance of the etude.

best regards,
    Bill

2. Hugh Anderson

Hugh Anderson Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2011
    The way I read the French at the bottom of the page, the dotted quarter equals the earlier quarter note.

3. wfrayer46

wfrayer46 New Friend

May 16, 2013
    Lorain, OH
    Yes, but how do you account for the 2/8 times? I am using the concept of how does it compare to the first few measures in the beat feel. I found this to be the most perplexing study. Especially since, if it were written in just one time signature, it would have been so much easier to read. I am sure Theo Charlier was testing his students on meter reading (and I don't mean for the gas company!) :lol:

best regards
    Bill

4. wfrayer46

wfrayer46 New Friend

May 16, 2013
    Lorain, OH
    If you have played the Charlier 36 Transcendental Etudes, you know No. 30 is a nightmare to read. I know that the quarter note and dotted quarter note are the same beat, but there are other measures in 2/8, 3/8, 6/4, 3/2 etc. that present decisions as to what the beat is. I present to you my solution to see if others agree with the solution I came up with.

Enjoy No. 30: [URL="If you have played the Charlier 36 Transcendental Etudes, you know No. 30 is a nightmare to read. I know that the quarter note and dotted quarter note are the same beat, but there are other measures in 2/8, 3/8, 6/4, 3/2 etc. that present decisions as to what the beat is. I present to you my solution to see if others agree with the solution I came up with.

https://soundcloud.com/user3562166/no-30-marche

*NOTE: You will have to copy the url and paste it in your browser to get to the link. I haven't figured out how to post a link correctly on this Forum*

Best regards, Bill

Best regards,
    Bill

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  5. Hugh Anderson

Hugh Anderson Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2011
    I'd do the 2/8 measures in one, because of the combination of those and the measures before and after. I could argue for doing them in 2 also. I lived and played in Belgium for 14 years, so I should be more help than I am. They played well and sensibly, in my view, but writing and speaking about music they made as complicated as they could- for everyone, not just students. In proper music schools, for example, a kid had to have 2 years of fixed do solfege before being allowed to play a note.

6. wfrayer46

wfrayer46 New Friend

May 16, 2013
    Lorain, OH
    Thanks Hugh, I surmised that that is what it said. I am not sure on how to handle the 3/2, 6/4, 2/8 etc. measures.

Best regards,
    Bill

7. wfrayer46

wfrayer46 New Friend

May 16, 2013
    Lorain, OH
    Yipes, I am glad I didn't go to a Belgium school. I have a former student who lives in Belgium now. He is a director of choir at some musical institution (can't remember the name.)

Bill

8. uconntrpt

uconntrpt New Friend

Sep 7, 2009
    New London, CT
    My understanding is that the beat should remain the same throughout. So, 6/8 should be a beat of a dotted quarter 6/4 should be the quarter note. the 2/8 measure is the one that really raises questions and it seems musically to work best in 2.

9. wfrayer46

wfrayer46 New Friend

May 16, 2013
    Lorain, OH

I agree, just trying to get a consensus. I also believe the 2/8 measure is in two to keep it in the same rhythmic flow of the piece. I also think the 3/8 measures are in three: example measure 70 in 3/8 at the Tempo I implies the same melodic/rhythmic movement as measure 1, making the first 4 measures of the recap identical in sound (rhythmic flow) to the first 4 measures of the etude.

Thanks for your input.

Bill

10. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    Hi,

the link asks me to login?

grz