cheap trumpet...few odd questions....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bogieboy, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    Ok, so i have a few rather crazy ideas to do to a trumpet, all of which include extensive modification, mostly to the bell... Obviously i am not cutting up my blessing ML1-S, nor my 100+yr old B&F cornet... And it needs to be a "clean canvas" due to what i specifically want to do....as i dont want the finished product to have dents/blemishes... So........

I am looking at the el cheapo ebay horns like *NEW TRISTAR Bb TRUMPET +GIG BAG +MUTE *BAND CERTIFIED* | eBay

And am wondering if these are decent for a base for a project... I know its not gonna sound like my blessing, and am fine with that, given what i want to do... I guess what i am getting at is: are the valves decent, or close enough for a proof of concept of what i want to try... I am on a very limited budget, so cost is of great concern....

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    try it on a $50 ambassador....

3. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    But the issue there is, i plan to use the bell as a mold for something, ie a carbon bell, so any (and i mean ANY) dings will be transferred to the final product....

I do uave a few ebay horns, but no trumpets... I have a baritone and piccolo off ebay and they are fair, i was just wondering if anyone had played the trumpets....

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Fair? Nowhere near it. I gave one away to a kid on one of the trumpet boards, for just the cost of cheapest-way shipping. The little punk never sent the money, and I still feel like I came out ahead just getting rid of that piece of trash.

5. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    I will say that the valves on both needed EXTENSIVE work to keep them from sticking badly, and if you dont have the tools and ingenuity to figure that sort of thing out it would be a piece of crap.... But i fixed em up, and they both play decent now.... Tone is not an issue for this project, given how i plan to hack it all apart anyways.....

6. Tequilero901

Tequilero901 Pianissimo User

Sep 4, 2010
    Memphis, TN
    Tristar trumpets shpuldnt even be considered a musical instruments. I had a friend who was a pretty decent player his only flaw being he played on these POS. I could never produce a decent tone on any part in below or above the staff. Like jiarby said look for an ambassador. I have also seen some holtons go far around 40-60. Try shopgoodwill.com - Welcome

7. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    You dont understand what i am looking for.... i dont need a decent horn... I already have that.... I need a DENT FREE horn to make patterns for an idea that i have.... It CAN NOT have any dings, and doesnt need to have good tone.... I have about $3000 worth of GOOD horns in my collection already, i need a cheapo to cut apart thats flawless for the shape of the bell primarily.... I can find beat up horns for $50 all day long... I cant use that though.... It needs to be dent free....

8. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    i'm not the right one to answer the core of your question, but i would think that if you're simply looking for a "blank" that any clean horn would do as long as it has the taper and shape you want.

if you did pick up a horn with dings and that transferred to your final product; i know that it wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing, but would it be "good enough" so that you can test your theory / process. if it's successful, i would assume you would then seek out your "ideal" shape and make a master blank out of that - no?

i guess it would then boil down to cost and wanting to "get it right" the first time.

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I understand what you want. That trumpet would be fine. The valves are not the best and do take some work, but it would be fine for a mad scientist project. If you are on a limited budget, how do you plan on making a carbon bell?