cheap trumpet...few odd questions....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bogieboy, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    I want to keep the cost in the sub $100 range for the horn, and all the horns i look at in that range look like thwy were run over by a semi truck.....

Even my b&f cornet was hevily bell damaged..... Looks like it was dropepd and the someone tried to use pliers to straighten it all out....
    [​IMG]

Basically the smoother the bell is, the better it will look, AND the easier it will be to get my mold to release from the thing.... See my thinking? A dent then becomes a snag to make it harder to get the original bell out of the overmold that i want to make....and any roughness of the original translates to roughness in the finished product....

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
  3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I hate to recommend such a good horn for Dr. Frankenstein :) but I play an Etude, bought it brand new for $100. Great horn, nice shiney undented bell. Check out Woodwind and Brasswind.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
  5. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    come on - one dent. a scientist has to be a little mad ;-)

it's like a robot - there should always be a reset button on the outside ... just in case it goes haywire. ('cause you know it's going to).

6. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    When you're done surely let us know how it worked out! I'm wondering how you're going to fasten a Carbon bell to a brass instrument? Are you going to use an interchangeable system similar to Schilke's?

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
  8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    A few years ago after a visit to the Frankfurt Music Messe, I imported a couple of chinese trumpets to see whether they could be made playable or not.

The answer was: OR NOT!

I cannot in all conscience sell them as "players" because I believe that anyone playing on such an instrument is guaranteed to give up. That Hippocratic Oath thing of "first, do no harm".

However, if someone has a use for one other than playing, I would be interested in recovering my investment., $80 plus shipping.

9. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    So, . . . .

Get yourself an Ambassador (there are plenty of them around and they don't suck), and use THAT as the test bed for whatever it is you want to acheive. You'll find no better valve block. They are totally solid. My kids used to drag my wife's Ambassador cornet up and down the steel staircase when they were little and that horn totally plays.