cheap trumpet...few odd questions....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bogieboy, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
  2. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    Could i get a few pictures, just so i have an idea of what i would be getting into? And a shipping quote to 60473? Thanks! And i would have to wait until my next payday, which wont be for a few weeks yet...

3. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    Trust me, if i do something this insane and it works out like i hope, it will be all over this board..... And even if it doesnt it will... So maybe someone with more resources than a poor college kid can take the research i did and refine it with more funding.....

4. Tequilero901

Tequilero901 Pianissimo User

Sep 4, 2010
    Memphis, TN
    Oh yeah that horn will do the trick then. I'm quite curious of what your up to. Good luck and let us now how it goes.

5. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    Well, the past few days i have been looking into carbon fiber and instruments..... Well... Theres (to my knowledge) one trumpet on the market with any carbon fiber and its WAY out of my price range....LOL and i kinda want to make it work just "because"...and i need to work on smoothing carbon/ fiberglass for an automotive project i want to do... Always god to start small... I already know the basics on glassing, but i need to figure out the finer stuff of finishing clean...LOL

6. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    this souds very cool. i look forward to some videos and sound clips.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So if this experiment works out, the horn will produce a tone as "smooth as glass"?! :D

8. JDay

JDay Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    Is just the bell going to be carbon fiber? If so, and the bell you will use is only going to be used as a mandrel to 'cast' the carbon fiber bell, then couldn't you just fill any small dents / dings with bondo and then sand out until they are gone for the transfer? Also are you going to cast directly on the outside of the bell, or create a mold of the inside of the bell, remove that, then cast the carbon fiber bell on that preserving the original bore size of the bell?

9. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    I have thought about that, the whole bondo thing.... Theres a few things i am unsure of though... I cant work with bondo... We just simply dont get along...LOL and im not sure what reactions it would have with mold release and the resin for the CF... As for the mold shape i am thinking i will do it as an over mold of the current bell shape, and basically slip it over the existing pipe coming out of the valve block... If that makes any sense...this is still just in the "how the heck am i gonna make this work" stages though, so it may all change in the end... Who knows.....

10. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    Thats the plan!!! :lol::thumbsup: