Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bogieboy, Jan 17, 2012.
So you plan to leave the original brass bell on the trumpet with a carbon fiber wrap?
Have you looked into the manufacturing processes used in making graphite* fishing rod blanks? Those guys spend a good bit of time and money on precise steel mandrels as well as some very serious attention to detail in the layup and curing stages. I know of people who've done similar work on an amateur basis, but offhand can't think of any who've been very successful.
* Graphite, Kevlar, carbon fiber, exotic additive flavor of the month: the basic processes are still similar. It's not too hard to find videos showing the processes involved.
No... The stock bell will be cut off, and used as a mandrel to form the carbon one on...
Yes i have, and have built a few rods (i used pre made blanks though) the difference there is that needs to be able to handle a load, so the processes are much more strict.this just needs to act as a wave guide to direct/disperse the sound waves coming thru the horn...
Okay, you just want to make another bell. I got ya. Then you can make a new leadpipe, tuning slides, and then a new valve block!
How will you get the original bell out if it is covered "over the existing pipe coming out of the valve block"? Are you going to cut the bell just before the bell tail / crook / bow?
Yes... So the crook out of the valve block will remain brass, but right at the end of the crook will be the transition.
Eventually thats kind of the plan... It would be even better if i can source out the appropriate size carbon tubing for all the straight runs, and leave the bends in stock brass, sort of a two tone....
"Yes... So the crook out of the valve block will remain brass, but right at the end of the crook will be the transition."
If that is the case, I would suggest for the sake of experimentation to also make a cast of the inside of the bell. Then make two (or more) carbon fiber bells off of the original brass bell, and the bell casting. (You would then have a large bore and standard bore version of the bell.) The standard bore will more easily match up with the existing brass bell as you can match up the internal bore size while keeping the bell the proper length. I would coat the inside of the cut off bell with a release agent and the pour dental plaster into it. Once hardened remove the bell casting and you would have a very good bell mandrel to cast your carbon fiber version on. At least that is what I would do....
Depending on the funds available to me, i will try that as well. Right now money is kind of tight, but things are looking up, i may start with my plan, then when more funds are available, try some other stuff too.... CF isnt cheap either...LOL