Cheap trumpet service!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by MiniBryan, Jun 18, 2011.

1. MiniBryan

MiniBryan Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2011
    Texas
    Hey guys I found this trumpet service which involves disassembly, warm-waterbath, chem bath, and another warm water bath. Also a replacement of felts, valve springs & guides, waterkey corks and springs with New Original Equipment (OEM) parts. And minor dent removal, lube, reassembly and lastly play testing only for 79 bucks. Thought this was pretty cool and cheap for you guys wanting to fix up your trumpet out there. :thumbsup:

SORRY guys I forgot to add the link! Okay here it is. http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=510_981&products_id=18080

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    What you pay for is what you get... You didn't even include the name of the service/mechanic.

3. MiniBryan

Jun 6, 2011
    Texas
    Lol my mistake I forgot to add the link!:shhh: there i edited it. :lol:

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I don't see anything to get excited about, this is normal pricing:huh:

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Don't forget to add shipping costs.

$60 is what I pay to have this done locally, at a shop where I personally know and trust the technician.

6. MiniBryan

Jun 6, 2011
    Texas
    Oh, you guys are lucky my music shop does this for 200 bucks! What a rip off right? :shhh:

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I currently charge $75 and give students a decent discount.

I wish I could get $200 for this work - I would have some cash left over to be able to afford developing some more instruments.

8. jmichaelhurt

jmichaelhurt Pianissimo User

Jul 18, 2010
    Unless the horn gets brushed out with soap after the chem bath then all you have is a lot of loose crap still in your horn. The chemicals don't actually clean anything on the inside of the horn. They neutralize whatever deposits are in your horn and may loosen them up a bit but they certainly don't just dissolve them.
    In addition to dipping the horn in chemicals we use a tubular brush on a bench motor and brush out all the slides and ports. Then we rinse the horn and polish the slides with a specially treated cloth. After polishing the horn, if it's silver, we align the valves and play test. $110 for lacquered horns and $150 for silver.
    I've worked at Rich Ita's for nearly 7 years and I've never seen horns get as clean as we can get them know matter how old or dirty they are.

9. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    $80.00 is about the average price for this service around the Ft Worth/Dallas area. They will even include removing a few small dents

10. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Yeah, given the choice, I'd rather take my horn to a local tech, even if it is a few dollars more.

Not only do you know that your horn isn't going to get lost or damaged in shipping, but establishing a rapport with a local tech can do nothing but put you in good graces with him when you might need some emergency work down the road.

And yes, $60 to $85 is pretty typical for the above-described service.