Check out the Rebirth Jazz Band.

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Rgale, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
  2. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    re

yeah the rebirth brass band is a great group. I have their recording of Kidd Jordan.. man they just make me want to get up and start dancing.

3. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    They are one of my favorite New Orleans brass bands. I also love the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. I own the following recordings of the Rebirth Brass Band:

Feel Like Funkin' it Up
    Ultimate Rebirth Brass Band
    Rebirth for Life
    Take it to the Street
    We Come to Party
    The Main Event: Live at the Maple Leaf

I've heard Rebirth perform live twice at B. B. King in New York City. It is always nice to hear such a solid sounding trumpet section and the audience is always dancing and into the music.

I used to play in a band that plays their music. They have asked me back to play with them. The New Orleans brass band music sure is exciting to listen to and play!

Janell

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    When I lived in Boston (circa Fall 2001), some friends and I went to see them at the House of Blues in Cambridge. Somebody snuck up to the greenroom and they told him to come hang out at their hotel the next day (they were playing the next night as well). We went the next day and ended up talking with a few guys in the band, including Derrick Shezbie, one of the trumpeters. It was amazing just sitting there listening to him talk about growing up as a musician in New Orleans and life on the road. I really got the sense that these guys LIVE their music more than any other musician I've met, before or since.

As if that weren't cool enough, they invited us to the gig that night and told us to bring our horns. We ended up sitting in on the last tune, some kind of F blues... Probably one of the top three musical moments of my life.

I was incredibly glad to see RBB in Minneapolis twice this year, both after Katrina. I think they're one of the hardest working groups in music and they deserve every ounce of praise they get.

-Jimi

5. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    The Rebirth Brass Band sure is cool! There is a newly published book out called, “Keeping the Beat on the Street: The New Orleans Brass Band Renaissance" by Mick Burns. The author devotes an entire section to Rebirth. The book is filled with interviews and includes a brief discography. It appears to be a fun read!