Check Out This Homemade Str8 Mute I Made!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Jul 2, 2008.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Ok, this might stray a bit away from the General Trumpet Discussion part, but if someone else can post non-trumpet related threads about guitar hero, I think this should be fine. Anyway, I was having a mountain dew an I got an idea. I was amazed at how well this worked. All you need is a mountain dew bottle (they just came out with this shape and you can find them at any gas station), super glue (strong super glue) or gorilla glue if you prefer that, and some cork tile

Amazon.com: The Board Dudes, Inc. 72 Light Cork Tiles: Home Improvement

you should cut it out in the same shape as the ones on Humes and Berg mutes, and only 3, evenly spread out (don't worry about rounded corners, trying to cut those will only bring you havoc, and they don't make any difference, as far as thickness goes, if you get these particular ones, it should be perfect). It's that easy, I was amazed that it worked, and was easy and worked as well as I could only hope it would, also of how well it stayed in the trumpet, I've got factory made mutes that don't stay in the bell nearly that well. It seemed like only a crazy idea when I first thought about it and nothing feasable.

It amazed me even further of how good it sounded, I would prefer
    this sound over a Humes and Berg, although it would look unprofessional, silly, and out of place if you brought a mountain dew bottle to symphony orchestra and stuck it up your bell, though it's a real attention-getter, I wonder what kind of reactions I will get when I bring it to school next fall. Really, if you didn't want to get the attention, you could paint it another color. The intonation is great, there is no more resistance than regular mutes, if as much. It plays great in all registers, and all dynamic levels (except the extremes of f's and p's) which is more than I can say for many mutes.

This is surprisingly all-around better than the Humes and Bergs as well as other cheap student mutes, but not quite as good as Tom Crowns, Dennis Wick, Jo-Ral ect. But this is a mountain dew can, who would think it? Only a trumpet player. lol I hope this is helpful to you guys, most trumpet players will find it humerous if you give them these as gifts. enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Here's another pic.

Attached Files:

3. PSH

PSH Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2007
    Minneapolis MN; Denton TX
    that's awesome. please use that on gigs whenever possible.

~PSH

4. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Do you leave the cap on or off? Have you tried it the other way?

I bet you could make a pretty cool mute by putting a small hole in the bottom and then gluing on a cork that will seal the bell (a la Harmon mutes) and leaving the cap off...

Neat!
    Stuart

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Nice :D

[​IMG]

6. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires