Check this out... Selmer Balanced

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Tootsall, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I've always wondered: what are the advantages of a "Balanced" trumpet?

Van

2. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Maybe more are out there, but the only balanced horns I know are the Olds Recording and the Selmer. I have both and they are fantastic horns.

Other than the usual more-comfortable-for-long-arms feature, I think the only advantage is these are both great instruments.

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

3. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    They feel different to hold. You'll love it, hate it or not even notice it. The Selmer is a GREAT trumpet, so, assuming you like the feel, it could be a great relationship.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a sample of all the great Selmers since they started making trumpets. This would be a great example to add to any collection. The Selmers have the nice attribute that almost all are "players."

Dave

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Harry James and Louis Armstrong played versions of the Balanced Action Selmer.
    I played Lamar Wright's Olds that was set up like the Selmer.
    It really was a fine instrument. Lamar was Cab Calloway's lead player.
    He sounded like a million bucks :eek:

Wilmer

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Hmm, the Recording is balanced *boggles* I didnt even notice it (I'm a big ole' fellow, by the way). Maybe theres some reason trumpet builders made them (Maybe they figured balanced horn=balance sound?)

I never really thought the horn dramatically changed a player's sound, although players can feel more comfortable with certain models. Of course, if the horn is a complete heap, the player may be unable to control the higher or lower register, and intonation, and resonance.....

Maybe I need to change my mind..? :D

Van

6. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Notice something different about this horn?

I've had the opportunity to play a Balanced model, with a 23A bore. Talk about a lazer beam! :!: The sound is tight (with that bore) and way out front. I'm told Louis liked this model because it was easy to play with the microphones he used to record.

Did you notice the leadpipe? It's marked K Modified. What exactly is the K Modified, is it the leadpipe or what? I've never seen a Balanced model with that on the pipe.

Who can tell me about the K Modified and how it differs from the other Selmer Paris models?

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The only difference is the mouthpiece receiver. The story goes that Bach mouthpieces didn't seat very well in the receivers of "European-spec" Selmers. One of the employees in the U.S. distribution office for Selmer, a fellow named Keith (as I recall), requested a redesigned mouthpiece receiver for Selmer trumpets destined for the U.S. market. Thus, the "K-Modified" receiver.

8. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Re: selmer

Not the same thing as we are discussing here. This looks like a recent Selmer, probably for students. I am not familiar with the modern Selmer line, but it could be a good horn, especially for the money that auction closed.

BTW, http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~artola/selmer is the webpage for my Selmer Balanced. Enjoy the pictures.

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland