Cheek Biting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, May 24, 2012.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Does anyone else have problems with cheek biting when they work on their chops? It seems when I flex the corners of my mouth the inside of the cheek is squeezed in between my teeth, which subsequently gets bitten.

2. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Occasionally I'll notice some of the flesh of my cheek is between my teeth but I never bite down to the point it causes any harm. If it isn't causing problems (adverse effect on your playing or physical harm) then I would just ignore it.

3. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    I think it does effect my playing, especially when I really flex my chops.

4. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Yes, i do this. My jaw is slightly out of line when i play, to accommodate irregular teeth alignment. Its never painful or gets in the way, i just notice it afterward... or maybe i grind my teeth in my sleep and didn't notice lol.

5. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    I have crossbite I think that maybe the cause.

6. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    In that case, if it's a SEVERE mechanical problem, then talk to a teacher. TrumpetMaster can do nothing in this case.

If the problem is minor, ignore it and focus on breath and the music.

Study air not muscles. Music is the big deal not physiology. All physical functions have control systems in the brain. The body is too complex to control by direct brain command. The untrained "natural" musician produces results by studying the product.

Study music first and breath second but not so much the body.

These are philosophies I have adopted from Arnold Jacob's, his students and his book Song and Wind. It's a great book and comes fairly cheap on Amazon.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  7. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Severe crossbite may require orthodonics, (Braces). It did in my case, 4.5 years worth!

8. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Also try not to rush to any conclusions, it could be crossbite but it could also be something very different.

9. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    We had a dentist come to our school when I was kid they said it was crossbite, and also some irregularly placed teeth. I don't think any dentist I have had has recommended anything be done about it.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Only an Orthodontist can give you the proper diagnosis and treatment. My dentist coulfd only tell if I needed fillings or crowns. They are not as trained in Orthodontics. It is minimally worth a consultation to find out.