Cheek Biting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, May 24, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Do you have a problem with biting your inner cheek when eating? This is a physiological function and does warrant a problem. If only when playing the trumpet, than it may be tension in use of assessor muscles that effect teeth positioning. Not sure I would want to wear braces if it is a result of embouchure mechanics. In that case, working on an embouchure change would be less painful and less expensive.

2. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    It can sometimes happen after having wisdom teeth removed. I had mine out at age 46 and had never had this happen until they weree removed. It occurs while playing and when eating from time to time.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Biting your cheek happens mostly when you are NOT practicing regularly. It happens occasionally with me if I have had a really heavy weekend of playing and take a day or two off.

The solution is easy - practice more to prevent tongue in cheek flab.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Had mine for 7!! My work (dental & ortho) made dental journals at the time. If I hadn't done it, I was staring jaw surgery in the face.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or if you can't practice more... drink a few gin and tonics before playing... it helps numb the pain!

6. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    This could be true. Having worked through EB's routines I stopped doing the intensive drills, then I went back to work through the book again and added some other exercises, then it started occurring.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is true. It happens to me.

8. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    I bite my cheek sometimes, I don't know why, but it gets in the way sometimes-- I have a scar on the inside of my mouth of where I bite my cheek.