Cheek puffing the upper register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Emi, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Emi

Emi New Friend

Jan 8, 2015
    I have a tendency to puff my cheeks when I play anything above a C above the staff. I try to keep them from doing that, but I can't stop them from doing it completely. My band director said I could hurt my face doing such things, and I shouldn't be venturing into that territory in brass player, being a trombone player. Opinions? tips? I'd love to hear it.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Check out "Trombone Shorty" --- a fairly decent trombone and trumpet player -- ask your band director how come "Trombone Shorty" has gigs everywhere, is great at both instruments, but still puffs his ckeeks out

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Some folks do and most don't. It's generally frowned upon as being "wrong".

4. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    If you begin your embouchure with a pucker or saying "err" you're way less likely to have your cheeks do that silly stuff. That and don't let them! :play:

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Let's look at the basics, we blow up a balloon when we have more air pressure than the balloon can hold back.

With the face it is no different. If the chops/facemuscles are weak, the air pressure will blow them up. Now it is ALSO entirely possible that your embouchure is messed up and that you use arm pressure which clamps off the air, if the air can't go anywhere something has to give.

No one over the intenet can tell you for sure what you are doing wrong, but I'll bet that it is both of the above.

The solution is a daily routine that teaches you to minimize armstrong and builds face muscles. I teach this with longtones and lipslurs!

Puffing the cheeks is generally regarded as wrong as it changes the geometry of the embouchure in an unpredictable way.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If he damages his buccinator muscles, it'll be bad.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    You mean like Dizzy Gillespie and Louis Armstrong ???? - they puffed cheeks --- of course they couldn't SING very well

10. Emi

Emi New Friend

Jan 8, 2015