Cheek puffing the upper register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Emi, Jan 13, 2015.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm sorry Emi --- one of the peeps (actually a couple) recommended we only tell you "safe" ways in life ----- so you MUST STOP playing the trombone , and learn to play piano --- there that eliminates "the cheek puffing issue" -- AND THIS AIN'T NO BULL$HIT. ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Well...
    Necessity being the mother of invention,
    I am now retiring to my workshop to begin construction of a leather cheek antipooch pouch puff ploofer that wraps entirely around the head while pressing onto the cheeks but with a small hole the mouthpiece sticks in.
    It could double as a hemorroidal protrusion restrainer.
    I shall be rich.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that's great ---- I can't wait until some TMer tells EMI (the OP) --- NOT TO PLAY the C above the staff on the trombone, or to switch mouthpieces.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am in my later years and my trumpet playing is going up hill. I also manage to keep my cheeks in.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Stopping the over blowing eliminates the cheek puffing issue if the damage has yet been done.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In the brief segment I can observe one concern... you are over blowing. You do not have to work this heard to be heard in that range. Your tone spread and becomes too brassy.

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    My trumpet playing can't go anywhere BUT up...
    But speaking of cheeks by a doctor wearing a speculum and nitrile gloves I can GUARANTEEEEEEE my cheeks will be in. TIGHTLY in. NOTHING will penetrate.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh, I have kinder, gentler ways. It doesn't have to be painful.

By the way, I had a prostate exam by a urologist that was more traditional in his approach, named Dr. Johannas. When he started his exam on me I yelled out: Wyo, Johannas up my butt. That made him laugh. That made the exam even more un-cool. Butt enough said... I will from here on, stick to the topic at gloved hand.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And do you notice on videos, the more he over blows, the more his cheeks puff out. He has done irreversible physiological damage to his facial muscles. Just because Trombone Shorty, Dizzy and Louis has done this, does not make it necessarily right. It doesn't make it wrong either. But damaging the facial muscles did not have to happen.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I would not even want to know any gentler methods of accomplishing the same "end".
    On a totally unrelated note, how do your refer to loony folks who drink wine after an especially great concert performance directly out of their trumpet...(the BRASS CHALICE)?

In SOME cases, they could literally be BENGE drinkers.