Cheek puffing the upper register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Emi, Jan 13, 2015.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I can mention Maynard Ferguson who played trombone also and never puffed his cheeks out, James Morrison and many others. The careers of Dizzie and Louie were long enough --- maybe they should have been longer. Sure, cheek puffing can be eliminated by strengthening the embouchure and NOT forcing the high range (strengthening embouchure in lower range by more long tones and more face time on the horn ---BUT who is going to listen to that advice?????

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Don't stone me, but my own personal opinion (highly colored by inability) is that maybe we really SHOULDN'T be doing these high squeally notes...I can't really say that I enjoy LISTENING to the sound for the beauty of the sound...mayhaps for the enjoyment of extreme and overtly demonstrated ability...but, really...I neither really WANT to be a high-pitched squealer or very often listen to such. I'd much rather focus on musicality within the comfortable range of the instrument. Just me.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm, 11:40 and you're not banned. Hmm. ;-)

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    1:00 AM and I'm still here.
    Proof only that nobody reads what I spew.

5. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    I understand what you're saying. Also though, I believe when done well (tone/sound) the upper register can add fantastic energy. Two great examples would be Harry Conic Jr.'s band and lead trumpet. The other is listen to the high F at the end of this National Anthem, vibrato and beautiful! An oddity for sure. http://youtu.be/sTfKsSrLh8s

The upper register does not make someone a better trumpet player in my opinion, rather simply give them more colors to paint with is all. Good tone/sound, proficiency, and the ability to play in tune are the absolute foundations.

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Yep. Very nice, and classy touch.
    Mountaintop stratified air.
    Nice place to visit BRIEFLY, but we aren't designed to live there.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well, that's kind of a no brainer. With the baggy pants you just have to keep them hoisted up.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    High pitch doesn't necessary be squalling. If my quintet ever swings by North Carolina way, come check us out. I play very high register and let my notes ring (sometimes even playing them pp). I only squeal when I am with the Big Band on the lead part. Playing in the high range can be very musical and very emotional. I even do so on my flugelhorn. It is a particularly beautiful sound on the flugelhorn.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hey if your stoned -- that's a personal problem you have --------------------------- high squeally notes only come from the ones who can't play them that well -------- GM can play soft, or loud, and high notes as well as musicality -----Maynard Ferguson, James Morrison ---- (could) can do that on both the trumpet and trombone ---- high notes, low notes, musicality --- and great sound ------- BUT -- with EMI and others on TM, my suggestion is to learn how to play the lower registers well, and try NOT to force the upper register (unless your older like me (50), and your running out of time -- then a little cheek puffing on a Double High C on trumpet is tolerated) -- and some puffing on trombone is OK --- whatever those high notes are, I play on that thing

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Gmonady, I would love to see you play.