Chemical cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    well if it glows in the dark SIGN ME UP!!!

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    DON"T DO IT. The gentleman is correct. I had a Severinsen chem cleaned and , long story short, it screwed up the valves for a long time!

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

I actually have that fear with this trumpet....but it has serious buildup....not sure what course of action I should take.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ultrasonic if a snake won't do it.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    But I could lose compression, that's my fear.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Thanks for this:D

7. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm pretty surprised at the amount of people "scared" of chem cleanings. There's nothing wrong with a chem cleaning done by a competent repair tech. Charlie Melk used to do them before obtaining an ultrasonic cleaner. Dr. Valve does a chem cleaning followed by an ultrasonic cleaning.

8. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Here are some before and after pics
    Repairs

Peter McNeill likes this.
  9. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Ascorbic acid is used in industry to passivate metals. It is particularly effective on Stainless Steel but works to a degree on Brass. I have a small tank of it which I sometimes use to soak slides to give them a very smooth feel - especially French Horn slides which are always being pulled to dump water. It can give trumpet slides that last bit of smoothness for those who want trombone slide feeling to their first and third slides.

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I happened to have had an extremely dirty horn come in today. It took 30 minutes to get the upper-inner main tuning slide tube out from the outer slide.

This is an example of why you shoudl maintain your horns regularly with proper oil and greasing habits, as well as cleaning.
    It is also an example of what soaking in soap and water CAN'T do, and why we need chemical cleaning.
    Everything on this horn was stuck, but after I chem cleaned it it needed no other work aside from resoldering the main tuning slide back together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]