Chemical cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Sep 15, 2012.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Thanks for this - it is not an uncommon story.

Were you able to charge fully for the work done?

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    They got a bit of a deal on this horn, but that particular school sent in a number of horns so I don't feel like I lost out on anything.

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I got quite a bit out of my Bach using dish soap the end of August. Surprised me as I didn't think the horn was that dirty judging by the second valve slide. I try to be careful about eating before a gig or practice session as well. Guess the use of chem cleaning probably is governed by the situation for each horn:oops:

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I use the plastic snake for 95% of the crud removal in the tubing. You can pretty much reach all the tubing with a snake. I have also soaked the slides in 50/50 boiling white vinegar/ water in a stainless steel pot for 15 minutes. Rinsing well with water afterwards.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If we did this, very soon we would soon have a horn with its lacquer stripped off and a very (understandably) irate customer.

6. chierholzer

chierholzer New Friend

May 31, 2012
    Chicago
    The place I work at has an ultrasonic cleaning tank. They advise not to do that on older horns. If there are any weak spots in the brass or any signs of red rot it can blow those spots open. I put my 21 year old MF in there with no problems, but I clean mine regularly with snake and dish soap. It made no difference in the cleaning. If you just use a snake and dish soap regularly(2x year for mine) there is no need to take it anywhere. One brass tech from the shop I used to work at said "if brass players cleaned their own horns he wouldn't have a job"

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Ivan, Sorry I left out a key point. I strip the lacquer off all my trumpets cleaned in boiling solution of course. This is NOT for monthly or yearly cleaning of your trumpet. This is for restoring a horn stripped of lacquer.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  8. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    ...I am getting my horn back from dropping it off to get some stuff done...worried to get it back from the cleaning now!!!

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    There is nothing to worry about.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Unless they are not competent. They probably are competent, maybe, more than likely. Of course that's what I thought and they screwed up my valves on my Getzen! But they probably are fine, maybe.