Chemical cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Sep 15, 2012.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I've been a tech for 35 years. I use my chem bath on my own horns, including my Eclipse MR, and the horns of various pros in the area. I've never had any problem with it. Okay, well, I did have one. In the early 80's I put a Mexi-Conn french horn in my vat. When I pulled it out, the lacquer slid off it. Scared the $h*# out of me. I wound up relacquering their horn. Told them what happened. The horn looked better than before, and played better, so no problem.

I will not put my 1939 40B in the vat. I am afraid that the inner mouthpipe has some badly corroded spots, and the acid might clean out the corrosion and leave holes. But for any horn that is not in danger of that kind of rot, it is fine.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am not sure what I am doing right, but cleaning my horns every 3 months with just soap and warm water seems to do the trick. Not much crud in my horns... I guess it's from living the clean life... that and the gin and tonics.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was gonna say something about your alcohol swabs!

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just do it! If it gets screwed up, put it in your TARDIS!! WHO knows, it might work! As a matter of fact, instead of a chem bath, you should offer a TARDIS flush.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yep... I swab the instrument... than partake of the alcohol.

6. flyntptman

flyntptman New Friend

Oct 5, 2012
    Indonesia
    I agree with what Chuck said on an earlier post. I cleaned my 1895 HN White in vinegar and water. Also added some dish detergent to give it a little extra cleaning power. Took the build up right out, at least on the tuning slides. I do not have a tub bug enough to put the whole trumpet in. Even cleaned what is left of the silver to a new luster.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is a nice mix. One suggestion, if it is a silver plated horn, add aluminium foil to the bath and the tarnish will be removed as well (especially in an acid pH environment)

8. flyntptman

flyntptman New Friend

Oct 5, 2012
    Indonesia
    Sounds like quite a concoction. Once I find a tub big enough I will try the foil with the rest and see how it does. I have heard of the aluminum foil thing but thought it an old wives tale. Any ideas what the foil does?

9. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    In short, the foil is a more attractive target for the chemicals which cause tarnish.
    The in-depth explanation: remove tarnish from silver.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    It may be an old wife tale, but it is also good chemistry. The hotter the water the faster it works. I also wonder if the hardness of the water makes a difference. Our water is hard here, and it does work but not as fast as others in other locations claim.

An old cooler might be a good option. Big enough, you could set up with aluminum foil lining, and you could put the top on so the water does not cool off too fast ( the problem I face using a mud sink).