Chemical cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Sep 15, 2012.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    The water where I live now is pretty hard, but soft where I used to live. This treatment worked a bit better where I used to live.

2. flyntptman

flyntptman New Friend

Oct 5, 2012
    Indonesia
    I tried it with cold water. It took almost an hour for each of the slides to come clean. I will have to try it with hot water next time. Usually hot water causes the lime to build up faster in my shower. Ie cold shower means less lime buildup. Will this be the same with my horn?

As long as the cold water works I would rather not risk the chance of removing any important finish. Most of the finish is gone but I like the luster that is on the bell. I am not sure if it is plated or chromed so am also staying away from the hot water due to that. I did use some silver polish on it and it cleaned up very nice. Does that mean it is silver?

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Was there black residue on the cleaning cloth/sponge? If there was, I'm 99.9999% sure it's silver. Nickel is lacquered and wouldn't leave black residue unless the lacquer is gone. It would be a dull gray then (w/o lacquer).

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama

If the horn is silver colored, there is nothing wrong with using hot water. Believe me (I work in the sciences), hot water is NOT going to cause ANY lime buildup. The only reason you would not want to use hot water is if your horn is an older laquered (darker yellow) horn that used the lacquer common back in the 70s and before. Otherwise, I promise you will like the effect of hot water. It will also do a better job of loosening any scale you already have in the horn.

5. flyntptman

flyntptman New Friend

Oct 5, 2012
    Indonesia
    It did leave a lot of black residue on the cloth after polishing. I even had to buy a new cloth. It is so embarasing going to a practice and pulling out this orange cloth that has black spots all over it.

This is an old trumpet, pre 1900, so I try to not damage it any more that it has already been damaged. Would they have used anything other than silver in this time frame? My dad has an Olds trombone that is nickel plated. Definitely different than my trumpet.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You have aq silverplated trumpet. Very hot water (near boiliong), baking soda, salt and horn wrapped in aluminum foil. You will NOT have to worry about ruining a cloth as the tarnish moves to the aluminum foil. You will also likely notice a rotten egg (Sulfur) smell after a while. Let it soak 35 minutes. You will be very happy. No harm to horn. CHeck signiture. I have older horns too.

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Alas, I learned the hard way that epoxy lacquer will also have a problem when you use too-hot water. I have to get some slides relacquered now. Good thing for me Charlie is up the street and I can drop off the day before lacquering and pick up the day after.

Tom

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As a PhD chemist, and as this comment relates to SILVER PLATING ONLY... I approve of this message.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Just a note about lime and calcium. Your hot water heater will accumulate precipitated scale deposits and concentrate those over time, so that there WILL be more of them in your hot water than the cold water. For bathing a horn, however, it won't make any difference as they will just wash away.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'd prefer an ultrasonic cleaning over a chem clean, but as others have said, if you regularly clean your horn, neither of those is necessary.