Chemically cleaned horn & now sinus infection

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bktrp, Apr 12, 2009.

1. bktrp

bktrp New Friend

Apr 11, 2009
    Hi,

I just chemically cleaned my horn, and without even having a chance to play it, I came down with a sinus infection. Will I end up permanently germing up my horn until the next chemical clean if I play it while I am sick? Or will it be better to wait until I am well to start playing again?

Thanks

:-(

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

The purpose of a chem clean is to get rid of all the solid gunk that gets in your horn
    I would worry about getting germs on/in it, unless you are planning on lending it or selling it soon

3. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Any germs that fall on the horn will die pretty quick. If you're worried about getting perpetually sick from it, don't. Even if the germs lived forever your body will become immune to that sickness over time. The only problem is if you plan to let other play it.

4. bktrp

bktrp New Friend

Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks. I am the only one who plays the horn, so I will be safe in playing it. :-)

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    If you're worried about getting gunk into the horn, just brush out your mouthpiece and leadpipe every day. I doubt being sick will gunk it up any faster, though. If it does, my horns are in trouble after the cold I've had lately! :)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Germs survive when they have a host. If nothing is "alive" in your horn except for the "sound" you have NOTHING to worry about.

When I have a sinus infection, I play very softly to prevent further damage.

7. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Think about this. It's not good to play anyway when you have a sinus infection. You are creating more pressure in your head, depending on how stuffed up you are. If your ears are stuffed up, I would definately say lay off the playing. And like others have said, I wouldn't worry too much about the germs, just maybe sanitize your mouthpiece before you play for the future few times until you have no sickness at all.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I believe that the kind of breathing (if done right) needed to play the trumpet, is good for sinus infections and colds. A good exchange of oxygen is always beneficial to healing and recovery.

veery