Chest infection

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackD, May 29, 2004.

1. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    As the title suggests - I've got a chest infection. I'm on antibiotics and have been given an athsma inhaler thing (!) because I'm having trouble breathing properly.

Trouble is: I can't play the trumpet properly at the moment (linked, I suppose to the breathing problem). Should I lay off until it gets better, or keep trying to practice?

It's very frustrating!

Jack.

2. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Lay off! Your lungs need a break...

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I wouldn't play with the horn. The temptation to breathe deep is great. I would buzz on the mouthpiece with short breaths as much as you feel comfortable with. Buzzing requires less air, but is still good work for the embouchure. That way when you infection is gone, you won't be totally dead.

M&C

4. ChasStarr

ChasStarr Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    If you do decide to keep playing or buzzing, make sure to sanitize your horn/mouthpiece. The same bacteria that caused your illness loves to live in warm damp places and you don't want to chance a reinfection once you get well.

By the way, make sure you take your whole regimen of antibiotics, even if you feel better before they run out.

Get well soon!

5. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Thanks for the tips guys - I think I'm already getting better, I'm just itching to start practising properly again.