Chet Baker Live at Ronnie Scotts DVD

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by PhatmonB6, Dec 30, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Pulled this one out of my collection and just finished watching it and all I can say is...wow. If you have not seen this dvd you need to see it. The stories you have heard about this man show in his face...very sad and worn out. The interviews with Elvis Costello between songs are unforgetable and priceless. The scat singing he does on Just Friends is typical Chet...its an acquired taste is the best way I can put it. What an xcellent CD...if you like Chet you need to see this dvd....If I am not mistaken it was one of his last live performances before his death. :cry:

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That opening first minute of him just totally zoned out is pretty sad... what would Chet have been if his whole life wasn't consumed by getting his next fix. It's amazing how many wonderful musical moments he had (My Favorite Songs is one of my personal favs... his solo on Tenderly is absolutely stellar).

I do like some moments of the DVD but sure could stand not listening to Van Morrison... yuck.

-T

3. PhatmonB6

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    The tune Shifting Down...is one of my favorites on the dvd. You look at him and you feel sorry for him...but when I hear him play that tune I wish I could do that...and my life is nowhere near as fucked up as his.

4. PhatmonB6

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Hey Trent when they do Send in the clowns is Chet improvising or was that rehearsed??

5. PhatmonB6

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Sorry everyone....responding to my own posts. But the Charlie Parker Audition story is totally classic ;-)

6. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I watch that disk, a lot. I'm not even sure why. I suppose it may be the contrast of a man, almost dead, able to play with such emotion and nuance. There's just sum'tin bout Chet. Always was........

7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Did you notice how far his tuning slide is pulled out on that Getzen Capri?

I think the whole Send in the Clowns tune is just a mistake, poor Chet looks lost in the background behind Van Morrison.

Best,

t

8. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA

Either that or thinking how sorry he was to have had Van Morrison on the gig doing such a lame rendition of such a pretty tune (that Chet obviously didn't know himself) !

Butch

9. PhatmonB6

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    When you need to read the lyrics off a piece of scratch paper it does not look very good....especially when you are a well known artist. I would have rather heard Chet sing it.

10. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    This dvd is interesting only to show the sadness that was his existence at this point...musically? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Sorry..and I am a huge CB fan. This is depressing...the Van Morrison stuff is amateurish..never cared for Costello...(though, "Abbott &..." is fantastic!...;-)

I hope the powers that be do make a movie out of Deep in a Dream. Will also be depressing...but ...

Anyway...I don't consider this dvd a testament to Chet's playing (many recordings do better justice)..but a testament to his demise.